Date:
Sat, 27 May 2000 17:46:30 -0600
Yesterday, Jim wrote that he felt I was being unfair to the vet in regards
to requesting he have a sit down with this woman and talk to her about
holding off getting more ferrets.

I feel that although you Jim, have brought up interesting points to ponder
about a vet's personal reasons for not taking the risk of potentially
losing a client, that they do not apply in this case.  This particular vet
is not talking about his own personal needs not being met by my request to
have him talk to a woman and persuade her to draw the line and look after
what she has.  I am not asking for him to demand she surrender her other
three... he will continue to get business from her regardless of whether
she has ferrets or not.  What this vet was describing had more to do with
taking legal action, which is not what I was suggesting at all.  For the
record, I did not demand anything.  I asked if, in considering the
circumstances, that he perhaps talk with her and let her know that she may
not be doing the best thing to her other three, by sacrificing their future
health by stretching an already tight dollar for an additional ferret.  I
asked him the possibility of talking with her because of her respect of
him.  He turned around and talked of legal action against himself.  There
was nothing in what he said that even remotely sounded like he was
interested in giving her other three a better chance at life.

Besides, when did taking the oath to look after the lives of animals
becoming something whereby the vet's first concern is whether or not he
will have a swimming pool, 15 weeks of vacation, golf days and such, rule
over the idea the vet got into the business in the first place ... the
care and welfare of his animal clients?  And by saying this, I am already
hearing the rebuttals.... Yes, vets are like anyone else... they need to
make a living too.  No one is questioning that by any means, myself
included.  But for anyone that takes on a particular profession, especially
one in which they must dedicate many years, you must admit that they should
being in it for the love of that profession... But that is not to say that
some wouldn't get into a profession if only to obtain a 5 or 6 figured
salary.... but I digress.  This is another issue.

Like many before you, without having the full picture, it is indeed a hard
place to stand in judgment.  I did not write these posts about my woes
about babysitting for sympathy.  I write because there will be others who
will go through, if they haven't already, similar situations.  We all have
something to learn here, and the truth of the matter is not all vets are in
it for the glory of medicine, and what they can contribute to the well
being of our non-human companions.

As for me, I love my vet, because he is the type of vet who is upfront and
honest.... two qualities that can never be beat.  It is in his directness,
that made me take all my animals to him.  If you want my business, you have
to show me that you have compassion for those who I leave in your care.  I
don't think that is a lot to ask for.

I understand Jim, that you may get the impression that I am taking things
personally with this vet... but a spade is a spade, and a leopard never
changes its spots... (insert other metaphorical phrases here).  A vet
who truly cares will show it in many ways... they are people of high
distinction, having to know far more than human doctors.  They are
counselors, and ministers and advisors, and our friends.  But just as
there are mediocre doctors, there are mediocre vets.  This vet, in my
opinion, is one of them.  As a matter of fact, he is the first vet that I
have ever dealt with (over 20 years) that acted the way he did.  If you
knew me better, you would also know I never demand anything.  Those that
know me tend to think I am too diplomatic and tactful when I want to get
a point across.

Lastly I want to add this: my vet took a look at the x-ray this other vet
took, and needless to say, my vet knows what he is talking about.  The
other vet obviously is not as experienced with ferret related medical
problems, and it showed.  I got that impression from the first moment I
stepped into the office to discuss the ailing ferret's problems.  It was
not until much later that he admitted that, although he sees a lot of
ferrets come to his office, he has to phone other vets to determine
solutions.  This I was thankful for, and from my point of view, expected.
I am not making judgment on him being a bad vet per say (his other clients,
whom I heard him talking to, love him and that's great) ... just that his
manner of dealing with a person who could not afford care, who was looking
to obtain more animals, left something to be desired.

I just don't know if I can make this situation any clearer than that.  All
I suggested was for a respected voice of reason to gently talk to a client,
to tell her that she needs to care for the ones she has.  I think that if
you were in my shoes, you would want the same thing.

And isn't the bottom line here that we want the same thing?  For ferrets
to have the proper care they deserve.

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur