From:
Tootsie Mead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:09:48 -0500
I have a question about feeding mice/rats or whatever, live or dead.
Can feeding them to ferrets cause cancer or problems?  Aren't mice, etc.
bred for lab use and seem to have the cancer gene?

I myself am against feeding live prey to any animal and feel it is
torture.  Is it okay for a dog to go after a cat or ferret and kill it
because it's natural?  It makes me sick that coyotes prey on cats and
dogs and there is nothing I can do about it but keep my pets safe by
keeping my cats indoors and keep watch on my dogs when out.  Snakes take
live prey and I have even heard rumors that ferrets, kittens, etc have
been given as prey for snakes.  This sickens me to even think that
someone could do such a thing.  But to some snake owners, it would
probably be no big deal.  Everyone has a right to their opinion as far
as feeding prey, live or dead.  I guess it is up to each individual on
how far you would take it to nourish your pet.  I couldn't do it because
I feel all animals big or small have feelings and feel pain and or fear.
When my cats catch a mouse in the house, my husband and I take it from
the cats and put it outside.

We even have 2 pets cows that we saved from being beef as babies.  They
are the 2 luckiest beef cows in the world.  It is a struggle sometimes
when it comes to pet food bills but we would rather give them away to a
humane society where they would be placed as pets only if things get too
tight, rather than sell them for beef to make a profit.  Yes I do eat
beef (cow), but could never kill and use our own, even though they are
not fed hormones and probably healthier to eat.  We even have one old pet
chicken who has not produced eggs in years and I know that some people
kill and eat them because they are no longer productive.  We will let
her live her life out and die on her own.  This is just my own opinion
and the way I handle life.  Everyone is different and is entitled to
their opinion and way of life.

Eleanor, Donald and the 6 ferts