From:
Valerie Krzykowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 16:11:27 -0400
Hi All,
Since we are talking about things to watch out for...I'll share my story.

We all know what the gooey vitamin stuff is, I'm sure....some people might
use Ferrivite, Ferritive, or some of the Flavored Ferret Vitamins.  Anyhow,
I usually feed it to all of my guys by hand.  One day I thought that I
would give my kids a treat, and I put some of it in an empty food bowl and
I put that in their cage.  An hour later I came back to check on the kids,
and my Baby Jake was laying in his hammy shivering while he looked at me
with only ONE eye....my first thought was that he had gotten into a fight
and his eye had swollen....I picked him up to comfort him and to get a
closer look....it turns out that when eating the vitamins out of the bowl,
some of it got onto his eye, and when he went to sleep, it dried shut!!  I
took a warm rag and wiped his eye and it immediately opened...I was sooooo
relived that he did not have a major injury!!  But I am still mad at myself
for ever putting him into that situation....he must have been so scared
(hence the shivering...it stopped as soon as his eye opened)  He probably
thought that he was blind!!  The poor guy....could you imagine having one
eye and not knowing how it happened?  Sorry, Baby Jake!!

So, just a warning to all of you...always supervise when feeding your kids
stickey stuff!!

~Val and the 16 bundles of joy!!