From:
Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:24:20 -0400
Man, I was on a roll making inaccurate, disjointed posts Sunday. :(  I
have to amend my post about not feeding cat food.  I *meant* to say "cheap
grocery store adult cat food like Purina Cat Chow, Meow Mix, or the
semi-moist stuff which isn't a good source of meat protein."  And
*especially* not the store brand adult cat food, which isn't even good for
cats, much less ferrets.

All I can offer in my defense is that I was upset about the situation and
frustrated that I can't get proper information out to that anonymous mass
of ferret owners in my city.  Todd Leuthold also reminded me that there are
people out there who, even with good information, would ignore it because
the good food costs more money.  That makes me very, very sad.  :( I'm
working with a local ferret club and we're trying to get the info out, but
when I personally meet these poor little ferrets, I get frustrated at how
slow the process is.  I want to take a helicopter and blanket the entire
city in leaflets ... I want to put stickers on every box of grocery store
cat food saying it's not a good food for ferrets ... I want to take some
people and *shake* them and ask 'how can you say you love this ferret if you
won't buy him good food???' *sigh* I know.  I'd end up in jail.  <wry grin>

Sorry if I've caused problems with my post.  *Good quality* kitten food like
Iams is good.  I, personally, don't recommend the Iams adult cat food, but
other people think it's fine.  I feed my own ferrets a mix of Iams Kitten,
Eukanuba Kitten Chicken & Rice (not the regular Eukanuba Kitten), Totally
Ferret, and Marshall's Ferret.  Sometimes I add other foods that have a
high meat protein.

--Barb--