From:
Roger McMillian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 10:32:31 -0800
>From:    Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
>Seekers of Selfindulgent, Selfgratifying, Hedonistic, Selfservitudenous
>"Fun."

>Oh, golly, do we ever love to show off our ferrets at the ferret shows!
>
>The rented hotel room was much too small, hot, and smelled woefully.

Quite possibly, the organizers had under estimated the number of ferrets
that would show up and by the time they got a pre-show 'body count' it was
too late (or too expesive) to get a larger show site.

>I went to far as to ask the "MC" to announce what was happening from time
>to time, but the announcements were sporadic and unintelligble with the
>sound system that was in use (disuse?).

Accoustics are often a problem and often hard to remedy at the last minute.

>thrust back into its little stiffling prison cage.

Most show require that adequate housing be provided for each ferret admitted
to the show hall.

>Handling of the ferrets was absolutely forbidden by anybody except the owner
>and the judges, for fear that epizootic catarrhal enteritis (ECE, sometimes
>called the green slime diarrhea) would be spread among the ferrets.

A wise precaution.

>In looking back at this "show" one must ask what benefit accrued to the
>ferrets?

To a degree, show are an ego trip for the owners of ther ferrets.  They're
also a testament of the care we have taken of our beloved pets.  Like cat
and dog shows, they are also often a means for breeders to elevate the
status of their animal.  This can translate into higher stud fees and higher
prices for the offspring.

>Could it be that their need for self-gratification surpasses common sense?

A lot of people would question the anthropomorphic nature of all pet owners.
Those of us who really love our ferrets tend to be very anthropomorphic.  I
see no harm in that.

>Most of the limp, docile, drooping ferrets that were examined minutely by
>the judges engendered in me a feeling of devout pity for these cringing,
>helpless and flaccid creatures.

An experienced judge shouldn't take motre than 3 minutes to fully evaluate
the condition of a ferret.  Often, a judge may spot an abnormality that may
require further scrutiny by a veterinarian.  There is usually, (or should
be) a vet available at check-in time.  In my Cinnamon Bear's last show, an
alert judge pointed out a developing cataract in one eye.

>They were ... not the free, happy-dancing creature that is the true,
>free-running, spring-legged, bouncing ferret.
>The wonderous personality of the ferret should rather be emphasized... Yet
>this, the very true substance of the ferret, was all but suppressed at this
>ferret "show." So sad to contemplate.

The ECE scare has put a damper on many activities that would emphasize these
traits.  The 'fun-matches' at shows can still provide some opportunity for
expression of these qualities.

Each ferret show is (or should be) a learning experience for everyone.  The
organizers learn more about planning and the attendees learn what to expect
and what is expected of them.  Last year, the GCFA show had about 160
ferrets and the show ran two hours beyond its expected closing time.  This
year, we had 219 ferrets registered.  We moved to a larger show hall (you
could park a 777 iin it!) started an hour earlier and finished on time.
Next year we're limiting the number of championship class ferrets to 200 and
setting a firm closing date on registrations.

>Are we to also eventually produce essentially deformed ferrets,
>like dogs and cats, for the sole purpose of special physical show
>characteristics?  Golly, I hope not.

I hope not.

--
Roger McMillian                             Cinnamon Bear Productions
Greater Chicago Ferret Assn.          http://ferret.chi.il.us/ferret/