From:
"tigger ANON" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 1990 22:16:00 -0500
I'm just going to reply to random stuff all in one message... The
quoted stuff came from various peoples...

> My understanding is that you need to get a permit from the New York
> State Department of Conservation to keep a ferret in New York.  I
> don't know if there is any special requiremtn or restriction for New York.

I used to be from NJ. I believe ferrets are illegal in NYC, totally.
I guess they're afraid they'd get loose and take over - but the NYC
rats are *larger* than most ferrets  :-)

> About the ferret show:  I have an ordinary ferret.  Why would I want
> to take it to a ferret show and (possibly) get it sick?  A ferret show
> would be neat, but what do they do there?   Compete for conformance?

I don't know about the announced show on this list, but here's my
experience of what the Ferret Fanciers did....

Well, the ferret fanciers in NJ did shows judging on several things --
health and markings and such (as known) and they had some other
contests - wastebasket tipping, digging, stealing a washcloth from a
shallow basin of water, and a maze that you could encourage your
ferret to traverse using any method, like calling or a favorite toy.
This was about 7 years ago or so, I don't know if they still do such
silly things.  The show is also a place to find lots of other ferret
owners (even if you don't bring yours) and find out lots of stuff.

------

> He claims they live from 5 to 7 years....Actually my kids were a little
> upset that Patty might not live much more than that.

Both of mine lived to about 7+. They came from Wendy Winstead (however
it's spelled, yes, the one with the ferret book) and she claims life
spans of 7-10 years.

> We talked about diet, since we give her Cat food.  He thought that
> that was fine, and if she should get Diarrhea, it was most likely
> from a change of diet..Funny he said we could feed her Tender
> Vittles...Anyone tried that???  We tried IAMS from the pet shop
> and she hated that...

I also use Science Diet Feline Maintenance dry. It cleared up a wierd
fur falling out problem one of mine had. My vet also recommends
offering them a mixture of fruits and veggies and pasta and whatever
else they like to eat (excepting dairy, which can give them diarrhea)
and that the sci. diet make up at least 1/2 of their normal diet.

------

> This is an ordinary aquarium.  It has a glass bottom, so weights in
> the litter pan will eventually be dumped on the bottom, and will break
> it.  I've been unable to come up with a way to make the ferret not
> want to be under the litter box, and so have had to quit using it.

Buying a high chair for Katherine just inspired me -- get VELCRO in
the gluey-strips and attach to the litter pan and to the glass bottom.
(They did it with the high chair cushions, and a baby learning to eat
is about as messy a thing in the world as there is). You might need to
play with it some, let us know if it works. (Velcro is also the answer
for keeping little humans out of the fridge -- attach a long strip up
high to the side, and the other looped thru the door handle... they
won't be able to get the leverage in the proper direction to open the
door)

[The VELCRO is a great idea for kennel-cabs - ours continually rearrange
where the litter pan is, reducing their already small living area further.
I personally don't like the idea of using an aquarium for a permanent
home.  It's rather restrictive w.r.t. air circulation, under some
circumstances rather fragile, and the next thing you know your ferret
is *eating* the silicone used to seal the corners.  Further, an aquarium
big enough to give the ferret some living space is likely to be *very*
heavy (a 20 gallon shorty would likely be too small, and a 20 gal is
heavy already).  A large rabbit cage (say 2 feet x 2 feet x at least
1 foot high at least) would be better - we put at most two ferrets
in one that size.  CRL.]

-------

I am disturbed by the cancer stuff with ferrets -- could it be certain
stock that has a disposition to it, or is it something we're doing or
not doing? When Kang lost his hair, the vet did some testing and even
xrayed, but we didn't find anything... and it grew back when I
switched them to Sci Diet. If Wendy says the life expectancy of her
ferrets is 7-10 years, and others say less, what is different about
her ferrets or her experience?

[Losing hair is common, and is usually a sign of seasonal changes or
being in heat.  Our vet has said that the seasonal variability in weight
can frequently be over 25%, and he worries about weight only when the
animal is visibly over or under fleshed.  Hormones are usually responsible
for hair change, and young ferrets in particular can have rather wild
(though normal in the long run) swings. CRL]

                                        *Tigger*