From:
"Holender, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 18:39:12 +1200
[Courtesy copy sent to Lisa]

Hi Lisa

You write:
>I check just this summer about Frontline and he said it was TOXIC TO
>FERRETS.  Warning to all considering using Frontline.  Do your homework.
>My vet took the time to call manufacturer of Frontline

From the Ferret Frequently Asked Questions:
   Long-term flea treatments

   None of the three common long-term flea treatments -- Program,
   Advantage, and Frontline -- have been tested on ferrets, so use them
   at your own risk.  However, many people have been using them in
   ferrets successfully for some time.

I am one of the many people using Frontline on ferrets, along with my local
pet store.  It is also recommended by my vet.  I am _very_ happy with it
and have recommended it to other FMLers.

I did a few Web searches and found that a) it is not ingested - it sits in
the hair follicles and the natural oils transport it around the body
(sounded good) and that b) the (French?) makers employees use it on
ferrets, though it is not 'officially' sanctioned for ferret use.  I'm
sorry, I didn't bookmark the pages, so I can't cite the URLs.

Perhaps the person your vet spoke to was just being overly cautious since
frontline has not officially been tested on ferrets.

Kind Regards,
-David and the down under ferrets Thor, Grover & Lady Penelope

                       David Holender
     The Open Polytechnic Of New Zealand
   Foundation member of Ferret PAWS (NZ) Inc.
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/village/9074