From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 00:20:58 -0500
>...the male(3 1/2yrsold) had a mass which we removed and sent the
>specimen out to a lab(lab report attached... The report stated lymphoma.
>About 2 wks after the surgery I noticed a mass in the same area and also
>another one .
>
>These masses seem to be growing very quickly.  In one wks time seem to
>have grown from pea size to marble size and are still growing near golf
>ball size.  We did a aspirate of these masses and found immature lymphs.
>Other than these masses, this ferret shows no other signs...

Dear X:

Cutaneous lymphoma (as Sukie has mentioned) is a different form of
lymphoma in ferrets.  Ferrets have been known to have normal lifespans
following complete excision of lesions, and careful monitoring for
additional lesions.  If additional lesions pop up, they should be removed
immediately.

Surgery is the best and at this point, the only really effective
treatment - I would not recommend any form of chemotherapy in these
cases.

Quickly schedule for surgery before they grow to a size where the
incisions cannot be closed.  When the lesions are large, you often need
to come back in a month or so to clean up the site, but cut early, and
if necessary, cut often, and you'll be surprised how well this ferret
will do.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM