From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 16:45:02 -0400
>I understand that they have about 80 ferrets right now.  People are
>calling and threatening "I have to get rid of them now one way or another."
>Ferrets are probably being thrown out to die out or killed outright.
>There is no other shelter here to take all of these poor little ones.

Unfortunately, this is probably not that uncommon.  We hear it all the time
at our shelter.  I'm sure other shelters have similar stories.  "Take these
ferrets or I'm going to..." and you can fill in the blanks.  As a result,
we're always overwhelmed with ferrets.  Someone called just a week or so
ago with a similar request.  They never returned our calls until days later
when it was suddenly a big rush to "get rid of" the remaining two after one
of the three ferrets died.  They brought the other two over, so infested
with fleas that it looked like the albino was sprinkled with pepper.  Their
gums and noses were almost pure white.  The one that died, no doubt of flea
bite induced anemia, was only 8 months old.  We were able to save the other
two.

Some people are cruel, others are just plain ignorant and that will never
change, I'm sad to say.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
* A 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation
*
* Visit our shelter's web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Visit the Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/FHC