From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 13:53:42 -0700
Hi folks.

Well, its time I made a few statements regarding recent threads.  Can't
keep quite for long, you know.  On finding time.  How can you NOT find
time?  Those darn ferrets must have me hypnotized or something, 'cause I
don't think I could stay away from them if I wanted to....

I've seen two posts now that state that certain breeders on this list have,
in their posts, implied that any breeder not doing it their way isn't doing
it the right way.  However, I have yet to read such a post.  I realize that
these two women either have something against breeders in general, or in
specific, but be realistic please.  First of all, in regards to genetics,
care, and several other fine points of breeding, their may be different
acceptable methods to the same end, but there IS right and wrong.  And if a
breeder sees another breeder doing one of these wrong things, he has every
right to warn other ferret people that this wrong thing is being done.
Why?  So that the public knows that a ferret from this breeder may have
serious problems, among which are blindness, deafness, (which many would
argue are NOT serious problems, in the long run, but ARE defects none the
less,) congenital bone defects, malnutrition as a youngster, improper
handling or care, leading to a poor disposition and the need for
rehabilitation... the list goes on and on.  And ALL of these things can be
the result of a breeder doing the WRONG thing.  I have seen one breeder
state that they saw first hand that another breeder was engaging in one
or more of these wrong things, and I personally would like to thank that
breeder for their vigilance.

As to the accusation that breeders take part in shows to market their
stock... First of all, why assume that all breeders are just into ferrets
for the money?  Most small time breeders are probably just as much in love
with their ferrets as you are.  They want to show off, yes, but lots of
non-breeder type ferret people do the same.  They want to interact with
other ferret people, they want to have fun, and they want their fuzzies to
have fun, too.  Also, if properly implimented, a ferret show system can be
a GREAT way to 'police' breeders.  In so far as good breeding stock and
healthy ferrets entered by breeders will be rewarded, while products of
obviously poor breeding will not.  Those rewarded will sell better, those
that aren't, won't.  This helps the ferrets as much as the breeders,
because it encourages good breeding.  It encourages high standards where
health, nutrition, handling, and all other aspects of breeding which
contribute to the ferret, are concerned.  I like that.  That appeals to me.

Melissa Barnes
www.geocitie.com/lostferrets