From:
Susan Brown DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 30 May 1994 17:14:10 -0400
I'm catching up on some of the selected FML's before I leave town on the 4th
of June....you all have so many questions and my time has been so limited
that I can only check in here and there.

Re:  Issue 837  Lyn  about strains of ferrets prone to cancer

I have not noticed any particular colors to be more prone to cancers than any
others.  The preneutered ferrets (neutered prior to weaning) seem to have a
high incidence of endocrine cancer (insulinoma and adrenal disease).  Certain
populations (this includes both ferret "farms" and private breeders) have a
high incidence of lymphoma (which makes sense as we think that this is a
viral problem and it may be in the breeding population).  Other than
that...you take your chances.

Re:  Benn with the chronically upset stomach.

I would be very concerned that your ferret has a stomach foreign body
(particularly a hair ball, which is common in ferrets that are over one year
of age).  This can lead to a easily upset stomach and unusual stools and
periodic loss of appetite.  In addition I might be concerned about lymphoma
(a cancer that can attack any organ of the body at any age) and a pyloric
disease (again the most likely is cancer).  Your vet should do at minimum, a
complete blood cell count to screen for lymphoma, and a fasting X-ray with a
possibly barium study.  Ulcers of the stomach do occur, but are RARE in the
pet ferret and much more comon in the laboratory ferret.  Another more
obscure disease, but still a possibility is eosinophilic gastroenteritis.  If
this was my case...I would be doing the workup that I suggested and if that
was all normal and the problem persisted I would do endoscopy or an
exploratory.  I don't think that this should be left unattended.  ( I also
know that you may have a chronic Helicobacter infection, which may lead to
ulcers and I know that Dr. Williams likes to use Amoxicillin for that...don't
know if you have tried it....but we see it rather rarely.)

Re:  Clinton Mahoney  Brown specks in the ears.

The normal color of ear wax for a ferret is a reddish brown and just because
there is wax present is not evidence that there is a mite problem.  The
specks on the abdomen are also just waxy secretions.  There will always be a
certain amount of wax in the ears.  If you take a bright light and shine it
in the ears you should be able to see the mites running around in the
ears...they will be about the size of a pin and pure white.  You can also
have your vet check by taking a sample of the ear wax and looking at it under
the microscope for mite eggs.  Most of the time, we don't see mites much
anymore.  Bottom line...make sure you have a problem before you treat it.

Dr. Susan Brown