From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:08:23 -0500
To people in three IMPORTANT current ferret projects which are all at
risk THROUGH THEIR OWN ACTIONS:

You know, in-fighting is one of the worst of the weaknesses of the ferret
community.  Glory hounding comes soon after it.

If you are both working toward the same goal then kiss and make up and
move on.  Otherwise, you'll waste energy fighting or confusing those whom
you NEED to convince.  GET IT TOGETHER!

This isn't the first time any of us have seen a good project ruined by
folks who cared more about what had happened in the past and about who
got credit for what than they ultimately did about changes in the right
direction.

All protests of feeling otherwise aside *** the ACTIONS speak loudest ***
so wasting time in-fighting instead of working together and respecting
what the other group has done can only say the project itself isn't as
important to you as you'd declared; whereas, putting aside the fight,
working together constructively, and sharing credit says that you really
care more about the project than about glory.

Nor is your's the only project right now in which the risks of derailment
exist due to the plain old fashioned downright silliness of wanting the
leadership hats (in at least one case when someone else has already done
a load of work and built has the right connections and is open to having
more on the team), wanting the credit, or caring too danged much about
what disagreements went before.  (I'm going to simply explode all over
the place if several months of work by a marvelous team of vets on one
project gets destroyed by some outside non-vet glory hounds who are right
now too involved in their own club cliche's glory.) I know of that other
large one and yet a third project which now which face the same risk from
WITHIN the ferret community, so if some folks coming into the work now
would simply realize how very much has been accomplished for the first
time ever and respect that and respect those who succeeded then actions
of theirs and their current lack of respect for the work done so far
could be put aside.  That would mean they could avoid the risk of
accidently scuttling the work and people could just get on with making
progress.

Glory is not only transient, but the quest for it has ruined many a
good project which otherwise would have succeeded and would have helped
ferrets and ferret people.

There is NOTHING wrong with being one of the project workers and having
others be the leaders -- especially when they have succeeded in setting
the stage.

MOST of the work I've done for ferrets has been simply as a scud worker
when someone else did the leadership role, yet people are aware that I
have worked on projects because when folks work together they thank each
other loudly and happily many times in many fora.  If anything, there
are many folks who think that I did MORE than I actually did for some
projects because of being thanked so often for what I did behind the
scenes.

WORK TOGETHER and then THANK EACH OTHER PROFUSELY after working together
succeeds.

Don't fight and don't try to displace each other, and never, never, never
try to displace someone who has made actual progress for the tiny bit of
possible transient added glory which might result.  All too often try
that is more likely to destroy work and to result in your being known as
someone who derailed an important project for the chance of personal
glory.  That has brought down many a club, including some national ones,
even through mass exodus.  People simply hate and forever distrust a
group which places glory before progress to help ferrets and ferret
people.

Okay, that is pretty much to everyone involved in all three projects.
GET OVER IT ALREADY!  Glory is empty but success is sweet!  So, work
together, already!

--  (monumentally frustrated) Sukie