From:
Ron Knipple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 05:14:09 EDT
Hello Again!  Finding myself posting again at the wee hours of the morning
with my pack of ferrets running wildly through the house grabbing video
tapes.  Guess the want to watch a movie.  =)

I made a post about deaf ferrets yesterday and wanted to clarify a few
things just in case.  I myself would never pourposely breed a deaf ferret
but as I said in my post I couldnt imagine not having Loki(my deaf boy)in
my house.  When he came he was littertrained, and very affectionate and
after reading (spent time on wolfies page) I have limited the roam area to
my living room and the patio which is completely enclosed so if I need to
find him in a hurry, I know that I can.  He is an aggressive kisser!  =)
Loves to kiss and kiss and is extremly affectionate.  My other two will
stop by for a quick hello and then there off for there adventures.  I have
an aunt that breeds pugs, english bulldogs, and mastiffs.  When they have
a problem with a sold puppy(genetics), the first thing that they do is
offer to take the puppy back and replace the money or the pup.  That puppy
then becomes a member of the family there, or is offered to one of us in
the family as we all have been raised with companion animals.  Of course
we are welcome to a "perfect" puppy from any of there litters, most in my
family wait until theres a pup that was sick or is a bit "defective" and
well take them.  Never are any of these animals bred.  They are fixed and
become part of our loving family.  When I call home my aunt knows to go
through the list of animals as I want to know how they all are.  But
breeding to avoid genetic defects is wonderful.

Also I have a question, I have read several places that all of the
inbreeding here in the states is the reason why our fuzzies have such high
rates of deseases(along with early nutering).  If that is the suspected
case, then I wonder if anyone has bred say New Zealands with another
version of the ferret with less incident of these deseases.

(early morning pondering I guess)

Happy Dooking;;;;;

Ghengus, Loki, Piko,
Matt and Ron