From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 12:33:01 EDT
I'm so glad you wrote.  The more info you and your vet have, the easier
this time will pass no matter what the outcome ya know?  As scary as this
all is, try, try, try not to panic because without an adv screening,
there is no good way to know if he has adv for sure or not.  So no need
to get too upset.  Really, you can get a blood sample out of a toenail
(which wouldn't be enough to stress him physically)... although that is
not some peoples choice... but if it means that or nothing, you can do
that.  The United blood test is the most relied upon test.  Another good
tool is an Elisa Avecon (NOT blood, but the saliva test), and possibly
even using saliva in the POC test.

I dont know if you've read each fml in the past week or so or not, but
there were some pretty spectacular posts made discussing how to keep a
home clean and disinfected from ferrets who may have adv.  There were
good posts about experience also about what its like to have a positive
ferret that has already exposed other ferrets in the home too.  That
situation isn't always as horrible as one might think.  It is possible to
have the live in the same home and it is possible to be very careful for
their protection also.  But... it requires a lot of dedication and work.
One might think, "oh heck, the others have been exposed, I'll forget
about it".  But you might want to consider the fact that just because a
pet does not catch a disease from first exposure that you can't prevent
it in the future.  Why damn them.  To really muddy up this picture...
consider all the ferrets emotional well being.  There are hard things to
consider such as if seperated, how would that affect them.  It might not
be worth it to cause all the stress of seperating them.  Harsh thoughts
such as, if the cage mates are already old, well chances are other old
age disorders will get them before adv ever will.  There's a lot of hard
things to look at, and everyone will value things differently.

Also consider that there are some really good people out there in the adv
community that have valuable experience, valuable knowledge, who can give
you some really great advice and most importantly.... support.  I'm glad
you came forward to ask for help.  I hope you get lots of responses that
are helpful.

Wolfy

Wolfy's site has MOVED to:
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/