From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 07:40:50 -0600
A short comment on shelters since much of the FML has been shouting back and
forth on the subject.  I have 18 living ferrets (14 were adopted from
Shelters), which might qualify me as a shelter in some areas, but one thing
is for certain.  I cannot compare to shelter owners regarding the love and
dedication offered to their wards.  I don't agree with all shelters, and
some people have made the mistake of thinking they could run a shelter when
they could not, but all (and I have met many in the last year) love animals
in general and ferrets in particular.  Money is often a difficult subject in
many charitable organizations (think of the United Way gaff not long ago, or
the many tribulations weathered by several religious organizations).  In
Ferretdom, there are no exceptions to the world.  My views:

1) If you have questions, ask them.  A reputable place has reasonable
answers.  (Don't expect a "to-the-penny" accounting; shelters tend to be
somewhat messy.  I worry about groups that CAN account for everything... I
ask how it is possible)

2) If you are leary of donating money, offer material goods instead.  A
reputable place will have a "needs list" and will be grateful to accept
services, goods or cash.  (Cash can be very important, true.  But to me, the
willingness to accept non-financial help demonstrates need.)

3) Ask about the adoption rate.  Shelters are NOT in the business of
becoming ferret collection agencies, but to rescue ferrets, stabilize them,
and get them to reasonably nice homes.  And, excepting outbreaks of
communicable diseases, this should be done as quickly as possible.  The goal
of the shelter is to provide a temporary shelter prior to permanent
accommodation.  (Note I said GOAL; it is not always possible to place some
ferrets.  I recently adopted five skittish biters (3 albino) and passed a
beautiful panda and sable that would be easy to place.  I admit I am a nut
case.) I honestly feel a small minority of shelters have financial problems
because they suck in the ferrets, but only reluctantly part with them.  I
love cheese, but I will never eat a 5 lb block of it at one setting....

4) Put your money/goods/service where your mouth is.  I have found the
loudest complaints often come from the stingiest people.  Personally, I have
made the moral decision to occasionally give to the unworthly rather than to
risk not giving to the needy.

5) Stopping rescueing ferrets by buying them.  Money is the bottom line to
business people.  Boycott instead of purchase and more will be done to help
the beasties.  If conditions are so horrible that you feel you have to buy
them to save them, then they are so bad that legal options are available.
True, there is the occasional circumstance where there is no other option,
and a purchase may be necessary, but that is the minority of cases.  Pet
store owners are business people, and they are very sensitive to bad press.
If the conditions are poor, call the police, the newspapers, and the local
humane society.  Want to really impress the owner?  Use a cell phone in
front of them.

6) Volunteer work at the local non-ferret shelter or humane society.  Pick
up land mines or wash the dirty dogs, but help out, make friends, and
influence people.  Be on the "good" list when the odd fert shows up.
Because you are known and trusted, many things can be done.  Make it a club
project, and good will can change and save ferret lives.

7) (And Last) Don't yell at the uneducated for not being as well educated as
you.  Most teenagers don't have a clue that cedar shavings contain a
volatile oil bad for ferret's lungs.  But most teenagers do know that they
get yelled at enough at home without some rabid stranger yelling at them,
threatening them, and demanding something be done "RIGHT NOW!" Don't yell at
kids for something out of their control.  You might as well yell at the
McDonald's highschool-cashier for the grease in the french fries.  But these
kids can be a powerful ally if gently educated with the truth.  For many of
these kids, it may be a minimum wage job, but its THEIR job and they are
proud of themselves.  Any well meaning attack is seen as a personal one.
Treat them with respect, please.

Just opinions, nothing more, nothing less.

Mo' Bob and the 18 Ferrets of Mirth (In memory of Gus)