From:
Robin Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:18:43 EDT
I am posting this for Hildy Langewis, coordinator of CDFA.  Please help!!

OK folks.  Want to see what rescue is all about?  Sit down.

Ferrets confiscated at an agricultural inspection station 7/18.  Call goes
out to volunteers, someone will pick up ferrets that evening.  Volunteer
picks up ferrets, heads east into AZ, stops at truck stop and notices a bad
tire.  It is now after 9pm.  She is afraid to drive to Las Vegas on a bad
tire, so calls a friend for help.  Friend arrives, they determine it would
be best to wait until the weekend to go to Vegas.  Here is where she made
her mistake - tried to sneak back into California with the ferrets.  Was
caught and cited, ferrets confiscated.  I'm on the phone for over an hour
last night, trying to calm her and determine what exactly happened (past
my bedtime BTW).  At 8am this morning I get a call from Mr. S., director
of the pest exclusion program (oversees the ag stations) informing me that
the ag station rescue program is suspended until I get a letter to all the
volunteers, stating what has happened and how serious an offense this has
been.  This letter has to be carried by all volunteers and presented each
time they pick up a ferret.

Mr. S also stated that if this happened again the program would be
canceled, and the volunteer would be arrested.  Arrested and thrown in
jail!

All over 2 ferrets.  We rescue 60-70 ferrets a year from ag stations.

Folks, we need to stress to everyone that the situation in California is
serious.  Ferret lives are at stake.  People are not taking this seriously.

What will you do today to help legalization?  To help ferrets?

Our volunteer will have to appear in court and a fine may be levied.  I
will keep this group apprised of the situation.  I am asking for donations
to cover her expenses.  If you would like to help, donations can be sent
to:

         Califiornia Domestic Ferret Association
         P.O. Box1991
         Los Altos, CA  94023

Thank You,
Hildy Langewis
Rescue Coordinator

PS I am accepting applications from folks willing to take over the position
of Agricultural Inspection Station Rescue Coordinator.  Call or email if
interested.  Must be organized, computer literate, and possess excellent
phone skills.  Management experience a plus.
Pay = satisfaction in helping ferrets.
Expenses: all expenses are paid by the coordinator i.e. phone, postage,
paper, copying, etc.
Volunteers for ag stations pay their own gas etc.

phone 650 917-0346
email [log in to unmask]

PPS Arizona ferret lovers desperately needed to help with Yermo, Needles,
Blythe, Vidal Junction, and Winterhaven ag stations.  Please help spread
the word!!