From:
"Marlene B., Richmond Ferret Rescue" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 10:53:39 EDT
Well, by now, everyone is up in arms about the unjust way I attacked
Gordon concerning the way he dealt with Kodo's illness and eventual
passing.  I won't go into anything more private about any past problems
with Gordon, but please understand that my whole point was that I was
so upset at the idea of Kodo's suffering (and I'd had the pleasure of
cuddling and kissing Kodo) and that yes, I blew a gasket and could not
understand any owner who would day after day detail their ferret's dying
process without taking the poor creature to a vet for a second opinion.

If there is ever any doubt in our shelter as to the quality of life, we
always take the ferret to our veterinarian, Dr. Michael Zuccaro, for his
opinion.  We value his input, and it often eases the burden of having to
make that awful choice of euthanzasia when a caring veterinarian whom
you've worked with for 7 years looks at you and agrees "Yes, this ferret
is suffering".  I'm sorry so many of you think I'm a heartless person.
And yes, I'm guilty of having more compassion for my ferrets than for
most humans.  As a shelter director, I feel that's my job, to look out
for the ferret's best interets.  It hurt me badly to hear how Kodo
suffered and I wondered briefly if we were dealing with Munchausens by
proxy- I'll never know.

On the flip side, nothing makes me happier than to spend the day with our
therapy ferrets at a nursing home, or taking them to a children's day
event, We have been critized for giving away older ferrets to wonderful
loving homes, Our main concern is "WHAT IS BEST FOR THE FERRET."

I apologize for upsetting so many readers who might had heard only half
of the story.  My error.  I just know that Kodo's death will haunt me
for a very long time.

Sincerely,
Marlene Blackburn RFRL
www.rfrl.net