From:
Richmond Ferret Rescue League <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 00:57:50 GMT
Hello FML'ers,

I just received a call from one of my foster-parents here in Richmond Va.
Michelle works for Ashland Vet clinic- she owns 2 ferrets and is currently
fostering 3 ferrets for me.  A stray ferret had been brought into the
clinic where she works this past Wednesday.  She said he was a cutie, but
covered in ticks and he had a broken pelvis.  Michelle offered to take
him home, but something about the ferret's behavior bothered the vet.  He
wanted to keep him a little longer for observation.  Michelle went to
transfer the stray ferret into a cage, and she said she was cuddling him
when he suddenly attacked her arms and face.

She said he bit her in about 5-6 places within seconds.

She was able to get him into the cage, but the vet was disturbed.  Later
that evening they noticed he was attacking the litter pan and bed, biting
furiously on the items.  He was also rolling from his side to his back,
over and over.  Then he started going in circles.  At first the vet
considered a neurological problem, but his "symptoms" became more
pronounced.  The vet euthanised him and sent his head to the State Lab.
They called this afternoon to let the vet and Michelle know that he hd
tested positive for rabies.  Michelle just got back from her first set of
rabies vaccines.  Hanover, VA has had problems before, especially in the
summer, with rabid fox, raccoons and even feral cats.  Since the ferret
was a stray, heaven knows where or how he was exposed.

PLEASE VACCINATE YOUR PETS!  God bless this poor stray who had not been
cared for and had such a terrible end.  I know Michelle will survive the
series of shots, but she is now worried sick about any other animal that
licked her or that she came into close contact with during the past 4 days,
especially her ferrets.  Their vaccines are due this August, but she is
still scared.

This is the first time I have ever heard of a ferret contracting rabies.
Thank God it happened to a sensible vet tech, and NOT some first-time
ferret owner who would have notified the local newspaper or other form of
media.  I'll say it again- Please VACCINATE.  It can save your pet's life.

Please say a prayer for that sad, sick stray.  God knows what he went
through, and his life ended horribly.

Marlene Blackburn
Richmond Ferret Rescue League
Richmond, VA