From:
Matthew Ardill & Siani Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:27:14 -0400
>It seems that every time I read the FML there is someone complaining about
>"lack of funds" or something like that when it comes to their pet's care.
>It's ridiculous... I don't know all the details of the situation in CA
>but I did see the plea asking for money and I have to say that it's HIS
>PROBLEM, not mine.

as i understand it, this particular person was actually running a small
shelter, and since shelters are generally dependent on donations to
support themselves, i don't mind his asking for money.

however, that being said, there have been a lot of people asking for
money for vet bills for their own personal ferrets lately, and for them, i
totally agree with Adrienne, and the original poster.  i'm not at all well
off.  my fiance and i share a 1 bedroom apartment in Toronto's unpopular
east end, where we pay far too much rent.  i'm in school, and Matt is
working for just enough money to keep us going if my mum helps me with the
rent.  but i never ask for help with my vet bills.  Hoggle just had a $760
blockage surgery, but that just meant pasta for dinner for a few weeks, and
washing the laundry by hand in the bathtub, and that's fine.  i'm sick of
people trying to make me feel guilty for not giving them money when they
have a big vet bill, when no one is helping me.  part of being a
responsible owner is limiting yourself to what you can afford and letting
yourself do without to pay for your pets.  and quite frankly, if they can't
pay for this vet bill they won't be able to pay for anything else for the
pets either and should probably be trying to find them good homes with
someone who can pay the next unexpected vet bill.

anyone want to pay me to shut up now?  'cuz i'm just fine with bribes. :)

siani