From:
Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 04:54:33 +0800
First and foremost - this was NOT a bash against Sukie.  Sukie, I am sorry
if you took it that way - it was not intended.  Seriously it isn't.  I like
you *and* your opinions and efforts.  Nor was it a "knocking down" of the
informative vets and other professionals on the FHL.  It was not, as has
been suggested to me privately, a knocking of the FHL.  Period.

Secondly - I am sure that I will be seen as an argumentative *itch, but I
honestly harbour no ill feelings with anybody here.  Some days I get a bit
irritated to see all of those reposts and have seen ill speak of them on
other lists and in private e-mails as well.

> BIG wrote:

>1) The cross-posts are typically highly condensed and relatively few in
> number.  Sure, some days there are many, but I typically get two FHL
> digests a day -- many, many more.  They are also consistently formatted.

Yes - but some of them are still a puzzle to me.  When they first appeared
I expected them to be "ground breaking" - so to speak - but they weren't.
Informative, but not what I expected for a cross post.

>2) But one of the main reasons I like to see them on the FML is that they
>   become part of the searchable archives, along with the existing 75000
>   posts already there.  People can get basic info and different info by
>   searching the FML archives and then go to the FHL archives for the full
>   threads.

I see your point, but they are in the Yahoo acrhives.

>3) Finally, note the cross-posts are *always* at the very bottom of the
>   FML digests.  If you receive the FHL already -- and I hope most of you
>   do -- simply stop reading the FML when you get to the FHL cross-posts.
>   You won't be missing a thing.

Most of the time, but not always.  There have been some posts at the end
or in between that I have missed because I skipped over the reposts.

>From:    Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I am going to agree with BIG here that posts pertaining to medical issues
>from reputable vets, could be beneficial to FML readers (provided that
>they still take their ferret to a vet and don't just rely on the FML for
>information).  Several times, I have printed out this stuff and given it
>to my vet to read.

Yes - the ones from vets maybe.  I, too, find information from the FHL
valuable - that is why I subscribed to it.  However, I find *this* list
valuable, too.  That is why I have every issue burned on disk.  (What a
loser, huh?)

>I wonder if Amy is also questioning the value of APF posts being put on
>the FML as well?

Actually - I do.  APF should be on APF and FHL should be on FHL.

>From:    Dale Nupp <[log in to unmask]>
>
>The only negative comment I might make is the nature of some of
>the posts that have been included.  For example, although I personally
>enjoyed Bob C.'s epistle on "dem bones being connected to dem bones",
>such a post did not really have a lot to do with up to the minute health
>information and might best have been left on the FHL or the FOB.

EXACTLY!  I *love* Bob's posts because they are funny *and* informative.
But considering that he left the FML *for a reason*, it is strange that
he is being reposted here.  I am sure that Sukie is getting his permission
to repost them, but what was the point of leaving the list then?

Now - I have a few suggestions:

1.) As the Yahoo people may dry up and blow away with the archives, the
archives should be maintained and saved by the list owners.  Any list
that has valuable information like that should be saved in this manner.

2.) Those archives can be burned onto CDs and then sold for MEDICAL
RESEARCH DONATIONS - like for ADV, Adrenal, etc.  Would you like to have
that valuable information at your fingertips WITHOUT getting on the
internet?  Maybe you could purchase copies for your vet!

3.) A website - not the list's website provided by Yahoo, but a separate
one - should be done up with searchable posts.  They can be looked at via
subject matter, poster (say one of the many wonderful vets), and a search
box.  Photos can be stored here as well.

Those being done, a message can be sent to mailing lists saying "The site
is updated", "A new CD is available", etc.

So there are a few ideas.  Run with them.

Amy Flemming