From:
Robert Fein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 1994 09:46:01 -0700
        Reply to:   RE>Attentive/Cuddlesome ferrets?

OK Ferret-friends,
  I've been one of the lurkers for a while, now it's my turn to ask a
question.  First off, an introduction.  I bought my two ferrets (1 sable male
now 9 mo, 2.3 lbs and a light sable or tan male now 10 mo, 3.5 lbs) Rascal
and Bandit from a woman who didn't have time to pay attention to them.
   While I love the cute little furries, I get the impression that the
feelings aren't returned.  I think they think of me as a BIG play/chew toy.
They have never snuggled in to me.
   However, they always come around to sniff any available part of my skin.
They lick me (especially after I have just gotten back from Aikido -- salt
fiends!.  Sometimes, they will decide my socks and feet are chew toys.  Now
I've managed to train Bandit to not chomp down but Rascal is impossible to
train.  I've tried a loud no, and moving him away.  But that just makes him
want my <insert body part here. more.  I've tried a loud no and a thunk on
the schnoz and that keeps him away from chomping for all of two minutes.
I've tried putting him in the cage while Bandit is out, but he just goes to
sleep.  Part of the problem I have in training Rascal is that he doesn't like
Linatone, Raisins, Slightly sugared rice Krispie (single), he only seems to
like ice cream.  Bandit on the otehr hand loves all of these so I can
positively re-inforce him easily to the point where he doesn't squirm like
crazy when I pick him up.
  Any suggestions on how to encourage your ferrets to be more friendly. And
how do I train Rascal?
       --thanks,  rmf