From:
Meghan Bonikowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 23:38:22 -0800
Hello ferret people!

Well, life with the fuzzies is nutso, as usual.  I love them to pieces, but
they are driving me CRAZY!  Here's why --

When I first got Martin he was so perfect about using the litterbox.  To my
knowledge, he still is, but it's hard to tell now that I have two.  But I
am pretty sure Dean is the culprit of the little poopies I find all over my
room!  And I have 2 litter boxes outside the cage and one inside the cage.
And sometimes I find little poopies right NEXT to the box, and if that's
not frustrating, I don't know what is..

Dean was SO good when I first got him home (he is 2.5 years old, btw).  And
now, he is so bad about it.  He seemed like he went right before I let him
out of his cage tonight.  It was hard to tell because the box was already
pretty "used" seeing as how it was right before my regular time to clean
it.  Then, he tried to go in the corner, but I got him out of there in time
(which is pretty hard because it's awkward getting under that desk!).  I
put him in his litterbox again and again saying "Go potty" but he seemed to
want to run out of there as fast as possible.  I think he thought we were
playing.  Crazy ferret.  hehe..  So then, he is acting fine, playing with
Martin, and all of a sudden as I'm going over e-mail, I smell this terrible
smell!  He had peed and pooped right under my desk!!!  I don't know what to
do..

Anyone have advice on how to teach a "not-even-that-old" ferret
"not-really-new" tricks?  Ferrets are the only ones who can totally drive
you nuts one second and completely steal your heart the next!  ( Well,
actually ferrets and my boyfriend, but that's all.  hehehe..  )

Also, not to be real gross..  But Dean's poops kind of vary in colour and
shape.  Like sometimes light coloured, real light tan (rather than dark)
and pretty soft, and sometimes pretty dark and real skinny?  Is this a sign
of a blockage, maybe?  I am calling the vet tomorrow, I think, just to get
him checked out to be sure he's all healthy.  But I thought I'd ask you
folks what you thought about all this, too.

Thanks in advance for any info, everyone!  Take care of yourselves, and
your fuzzies!

--Meghan
Dean-o and Martin the Martian