From:
Kymberlie Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 1997 14:11:49 -0400
To Sterling and all FMLers...

First off I have to apologize because I haven't been reading all of the
recent posts about MF and breeding, etc.  SO, if I say something that's
already been brought up, please forgive me.  Also, I have a feeling that no
matter what I write here, someone isn't going to like it, please don't flame
me, but you're welcome to e-mail me and reply with your disagreement in a
constructive manner.  We're all entitled to our opinions.  Sterling, as to
you personally, we've e-mailed one another in the past and I find you to be
a responsible ferret owner--my opinions may differ with yours but I hope
that doesn't cause you to dislike me.

Here's my two cent's worth:
I run a shelter as many of you all know.  I am strongly opposed to the
"backyard breeding" that goes on in just about every state.  A large
percentage of these people haven't got a clue about the medical needs of
ferrets, they aren't experienced in breeding, and cannot handle problems
that arise (quite frequently) during the birthing of ferrets.  Many of these
breeders don't spay/neuter their breeders offspring, then sell the unaltered
ferrets to people that don't know that ferrets MUST BE FIXED!  Then, males
are not kept/cared for because they stink so badly, and in the meantime
everyone that visits the home of these people gets the idea that ferrets
smell horrible not to mention that the ferret owner probably tells everyone
how bad they smell.  Very bad ferret PR!!!  The females go out into homes,
go into heat, owner doesn't know what's going on and before they bother to
go to a vet she's dead.  I very, very strongly oppose the breeding of
ferrets except under very certain circumstances.

There are a few non-commercial breeders out there (a few of you are on this
list, you know who you are) that are very informed, they breed with
conscience, don't let the babies go to just anyone, and are just great.
But, they are in the minority.  If all "backyard breeders" operated under
the ethics of these few, I would support the closing down of mills like MF.
But, as this won't happen, I am a Marshall Farms supporter.

Why not??  So far nobody has been able to prove that MF ferrets have a
higher rate of cancer than non MF.  If someone says they have proof, their
studies are biased due to the fact that since there are more ferrets in this
country that come from MF, you're going to find more ferrets with cancer
that are MF.  I have had (still do) several MF ferrets, and in some cases
they're even healthier than my non MF ferrets.  Think about it...backyard
breeders, the non-conscientious ones, don't care WHAT defects they're
passing along.  This poses a worse health threat in my opinion.  We could
wind up with a country full of ECE exposed ferrets, potentially, if MF was
shut down.  If there was no MF, a huge market would open up for ferrets, and
the money-makers would seize the opportunity.

I must interject, I KNOW that you, Sterling, are not asking that MF be shut
down.  But I have had dozens of people in the past try to convince me that
MF should be closed.  This post is meant to tell my feelings about MF.

I don't like a lot of things that MF has done.  There have been MF ferrets
that froze to death in cargo holds waiting for airline shipment because MF
didn't wait for better weather to send the kits out.  Stuff like that.  But
I also think that when you're dealing with tens of thousands of ferrets a
year, there will be a few isolated tragedies.  Doesn't mean I like it, but
it can't be helped.  I also don't like the whole early spay/neuter that MF
does, which is your point, Sterling.  But I ask you, what is the
alternative???  If they didn't do the altering, it would be up to the pet
stores to convince those purchasing ferrets to do it themselves.  There
would be soooo many ferrets that wouldn't be fixed, or worse, a family will
say "let's just breed her once....".  Again the odor problem would be an
issue.  Ferrets would lose the good reputation that we are all working so
hard for them to get.  Another point to mention....at least if ferrets are
fixed before they go to the stores, they cost an arm and a leg to purchase.
This prevents some really bad people from buying ferrets "on a whim".  I'd
like to see the price of ferrets go UP!  If MF didn't neuter, no store could
sell a ferret that hasn't been fixed for a high price, then expect them to
pay for a $100+ surgery on top of it.

Another thing that could be done would be to convince MF to spay/neuter
later on, but then nobody would be able to buy a baby ferret.  6 months is a
recommended age (am I right???) People want to buy the babies, not 6 month
olders.

Personally, what I would like to see done (and I doubt it's possible at all)
is to enact laws that require all pet stores that sell a ferret
unspayed/unneutered to collect the money for the surgery (i.e., purchase a
certificate for surgery) at the time of purchase.  This way, MF could let
the kits go to the stores unfixed, and at the appropriate time the ferret
would be fixed because nobody would dump over $100 bucks then let it just be
wasted.  This is similar to the policies of many SPCAs--pay for a kitten,
pay for a surgery, get a certificate for spaying when she's older.  You also
have to sign a form stating that she won't be bred.  Of course then you run
into the problem of what about people that buy a little boy and a little
girl.  You don't want to separate them, but you don't want them to breed if
you don't have altering done in time.

I welcome any and all responses, but please be constructive if you disagree.
I mean to offend nobody here.

Kymberlie Becker
Director, Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
"Forget Puppy Love...There's nothing Greater than Ferret Love!" TM
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ferretlady