From:
Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 1995 16:24:48 -0400
The Ferret Friends of Indian River County International (FFIRCI) Shelter is
very proud to be one of the LIFE Ark Angel Shelters.

Since 1991 we have taken in more than 140 ferrets and adopted out over 125
(3 shelter ferrets passed away, 1 is currently being fostered by a Vet, 1 is
currently in Gainesville being treated for heartworm, 6 are permanent
residents due to health problems, 4 are currently up for adoption).

We have incoming forms for each child of fur (that's what we call all the
residents here) who comes to the shelter.  Each new child has a full
physical within 24 hours of arrival at the shelter.  As well as the full
physical they receive Distemper and Rabies shots and a Heartworm test.
Children over the age of 4 get and automatic CBC done.  If an incoming child
is Whole and passes his/her physical he/she will be neutered or spayed 14
days after intake (we wait so that the kid has a chance to adjust and is not
over stressed).

All kids have a very high protein diet of Wysong Feline Nuture (if a child
comes in on another food we continue that food and gradually add the Wysong
until he/she is totally on the Wysong - surprisingly we have never had a
problem changing over to the Wysong).  They get treats twice weekly.  Litter
boxs are changed daily.  All children live in enormous cages (usually 2 but
no more than 2 to a cage).  All cage floors are covered with sheets.  Each
cage has a large litter box, food bowl, water bottle, hammock, hiddie sack,
and toys.  The cages with balconies have the wire balconies covered with
pillow cages and the pillow cages are secured so they stay in place.  All
balconies also have hiddie sacks.  All children receive either Linatone or
Minetone.  Also once a week the kids have some Petromalt (to prevent hair
balls).  All children have play periods of a minimum of 4 hours per day.
All cage implements are changed twice weekly.

When the Vero Beach Humane Society Director came to visit the shelter and
look at our forms she decided to add some things to the VBHS forms.  She
also told me they were the stricts she had ever seen.

In order to adopt from our shelter you must first complete our Adoption
Questionnaire (this is sent to perspective Adopters).  All perspective
Adopters bring their filled out forms to the shelter with them for their
first visit.  Those wanting to adopt are shown the kids up for adoption and
are allowed to play with the kids for at least 30 minutes.  After the visit
the perspective adopters are sent home and told to call back in 72 hours
(this gives us a chance to contact their landlord, place of employment,
Humane Society in their area, and law enforcement agencies and check the
perspective adopters out - so to speak).  Even when perspective adopters
check out many are turned down

Their is a clause in our questionnaire that really helps us to weed out
people quickly it reads " Understand the FFIRCI Shelter personnel will call
or visit your home (home visits are done once unless you request a follow-up
visit) at least six times in the next year (if you are approved to adopt).
We do this to help you and your pet in case you have questions or problems."

On the initial visit after a ferret is adopted we are usually ask about
Bathing and Grooming (even though we have given instructions on these
procedures during the adoption - also the adoptive parent/s are given
handouts on ferret care and health).  It's gotten so that when we call the
parents for a visit we ask if they would like a bathing and grooming
demonstration.

We have a lifetime return policy on all ferrets.  We are a NO-KILL shelter.

Our maximum capacity is 12 ferrets (except during Disaster response).  We
keep it at 12 as the shelter is in a doublewide mobile home and we are in
Central Florida (prone to tornados and Hurricanes).

Our average yearly Vet bill is a little over $2,000 (except by June of this
year we had already exceeded $2,300)

We are listed in the Project Breed Directory.  We were inspected by Ann
Davis of LIFE in March of 1992.  Our Vice President is a licensed Wildlife
Rehabilator and was an Animal Control Officer for over 12 years.  We were
Inspected by the VBHS in April of 1994 and they will be visiting again soon.
Shelter Mother - Chere McCoy is the Founder/Director of Ferret Friends
Disaster Response International.  Shelter Dad is Larry Huston of Citrus
Grove Aviation (the man who flew the supplies to Miami after Hurricane
Andrew - he also flew 36 ferrets out) Chere McCoy is also on the Advisory
board of NOHO (Network of Humane Organizations of Florida, INC).  FFIRCI and
FFDRI have had exhibit booth at the HSUS EXPO's 1992, 1993, 1994, and will
be at the 1995 EXPO.

Beg my pardon for the length of this missive but I think someone had
questions on the qualifications of some of the Ark Angel Shelter.  Actually
I haven't put in near the stuff we do here but I don't want people to get
upset because of the length of this missive.

P.S.  The people who run the shelter haven't been on vacation since the
Shelter was started - who would we ever get to take care of the Children?

Chere McCoy
President Ferret Friends of Indian River County International

[Moderator's note: I'm letting this stand since it describes a shelter
operation which is coincidentally a LIFE shelter.  Appropriate responses
are which describe other operations or comment on this one.  Responses
which are not appropriate (and which will NOT be posted) are those which
attempt to discredit any particular ferret organizations' shelters.  So
tell us about your own shelter, not how to operate someone else's.  BIG]