From:
Mason Weinrich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 1994 10:12:02 -0400
Just a few comments on some things on FML recently from a different
(and slightly cuatious) perspective.

It seems to me that we may be going about this the wrong way.  I am not
sure we want Geraldo or Oprah, who know little about ferrets, getting
into the whole thing.  I do think that a 20/20, 60 Minutes, or other
similar show would be interested in the McDowell case - its right up
their alley (you can just see the tag now - "These people lost their
home and job because of the family pet - up next on 20/20").  I also
think there is a whole avenue of shows we haven't even talked about -
things like "The Pet Connection" on Discovery channel.  Sure, these
things will take longer, but there is no quick fix.  Its that simple.
We have a good case and we know it.  I also think getting local papers
to run an article about ferrets as pets is also good.  Attitudes change
slowly - we need to hit people from many avenues...

Someone pointed out that the talk shows thrive on creating, not
quelling controversy.  I think that's a very good point, and think it
is risky of us to think things will come out our way.  I don't watch
many talk shows (nor do most legislators, who do read newspapers), but
my impression of them is trying to get guests to scream at each
other...

Another idea - what about getting a good ferret rep on Tonight Show or
Letterman?

Also - To the people talking about indexing FML - more power to 'ya,
and I'll be the first to want a disk/copy.  It seems like you wouldn't
need to include all of the FML's, since back issues are available
through a listserv request - perhaps just an issue # and contributor
name...

Finally - obligitory ferret story - Slinky, when going through his
dryer tube, will stop near the end and wait for me to look in - if I
do, he rolls upside down, opens his mouth, and shakes his head back and
forth.  If I stick my hand in, he paws (not bites) it - if I put my
face up to it, he runs over and licks my nose or forehead.  It's
incredibly cute....

Best - Mason, Slinky, and Leila (the cat who wonders why anyone would
watch a TV show when you can look out the window instead...)