From:
Richard and Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 13:14:51 -0500
I've been studying up on wildlife nutrition since I volunteer at a wildlife
rehab center.  I looked up weasels.  The following information is from
"Rehabilitation of North American Wild Mammals: Feeding and Nutrition" by
Debbie Marcum.  According to the author, there is no known published milk
analysis for weasels, so the mink was used.  For the weasel/mink, it
appears the best formula is as follows:

1 part Esbilac or Zoologic 33/40 (powder)
1 part KMR or Zoologic 42/25 (powder)
3 parts water

The formula for the striped skunk is:
1 part Esbilac or Zoologic Milk Matrix 33/40 (powder)
1 part Multi-Milk or Zoologic Milk Matrix 30/55 (powder)
2 parts water

You start out with 3/4 water to 1/4 formula (the formula is the total
concoction above), move to 1/2 and 1/2, then to 1/4 water to 3/4 formula,
then full-strength formula.  You should not go to the full strength any
earlier than 24 hours after the first feeding.  You can substitute an oral
electrolyte solution for the water if dehydration is a concern.  A tiny
pinch of salt will also help the electrolytes.

If they are very tiny, tube feeding is probably needed.  That is, a tube is
inserted into their stomach for feeding.  It is very important that they
not be overfed, but they need feeding every 2-3 hours.  Their tummies
should feel full, but not hard.  Once they are larger, a syringe can be
used.  There are tiny little attachments for syringes which should fit into
their mouths.  I've seen them used with baby mice and they're so tiny I'm
afraid when I hold them.  I've also seen the tiny baby mice tube fed.

Warmth:
The best thing is to put them in one of those small plastic aquariums on
top of a heating pad.  Place a small towel between the heating pad and the
aquarium.  Set the heating pad on medium.  You should put a cloth over most
of the top of the aquarium so the heat will not be lost.  A small box that
can be covered can be used in a pinch.  Be sure to put air holes in it.
Put rags or towels into the aquarium.  As they get a little older, only put
about half of the aquarium on the heating pad so they can move off the heat
if they want to.  An emergency way to warm them is to fill a Zip-lock bag
with water and heat it in the microwave (not too hot of course).  Put the
warmed bag down, lay an old hand towel over it, place the babies on the
towel, and loosely fold the cloth over the babies.  Place all of this into
a small box with air holes.  Of course, the water will have to be warmed on
a regular basis.  Our bodies do NOT provide adequate heat.

It is normally also necessary to stimulate them to go to the bathroom when
they are very tiny.  I'm not sure if this applies to ferrets or not.  With
squirrels, this is usually necessary until their eyes open.

Please understand that I am talking from wildlife experience and research,
but I would think the same principles would apply to baby ferrets.  And,
one more caveat, I AM NOT A LICENSED WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR, just a very
committed volunteer.  I have successfully nursed and raised several litters
(?) of squirrels who have subsequently been released into the wild.  I will
admit that I've had a couple of deaths, but you can't always save every
one.

Kim, please correct me if I have given out any erroneous information.

BTW, the zoologic and Esbilac can be purchased through Jeffers if you can't
find it locally.

Katharine