Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2007 14:31:39 -0700
Regarding Zoo's Ferret Sanctuary. I have never been there. Nor do I
feel a need to have been there to say she runs a top notch operation
with excellent care for every ferret that comes through her door. I
know for fact that Cathy Strobach only sleeps in 3 hour increments
caring for the ferrets and her husband's hectic schedule. She lives
very frugally. EVERYTHING she does is for the ferrets. In addition to
that she is part of an incredible support system for other shelters.
Every shelter out there needs this. We need to be there for each other
because we are the only one's that understand all of the shelter
emotions. Our "regular" friends can sympathize but only another shelter
mom or dad can truly understand all of the heartbreak that is involved.
I affectionately call her Dr. Cathy as she has given me so much life
saving advice and been a wonderful shoulder to lean on. In addition
to communication with animals, I also pick up vibes on people. When I
talk to Cathy I receive a vision of this fairy godmother type person,
complete with wings and fairy dust. Yup, that's Cathy alright. She is
as good to people as she is to ferrets. And she is being flamed for
some of the things I was targeted for several years ago when I started
my shelter and didn't do many adoptions. Simple math tells you that if
you have this many ferrets flooding the shelters that few good ferret
homes are out there. Therefore we are very cautious about who we adopt
to. As a result we have never, ever had an adoption go bad. One time,
the adopter felt he adopted too many at once, so a pair came back.

Regarding opening up your shelter for public visits, let me share a
little legal advice with you folks that operate your shelter from your
home. If you allow the public in to your shelter, you need to carry
private liability insurance. If your home owner's company finds out you
run such an organization and allow the public to visit, they believe it
to be classified as a "business" and will cancel your policy before you
can utter the words bite incident. My volunteers ALL sign an agreement
before working here that release me from personal liability and all
prospective adopters meet the ferrets during the home visit that has to
be done anyway. That's the way we do it and that's why we do it. I am
speaking from the experience of someone that has been there, done that
and is now paying a double premium for being honest with my insurance
company.

I read with much heartbreak about the ferrets that were sick and dying
due to insecticides in hotel rooms while travelling to shows which
makes me ask the question again...at what price a ribbon or trophy? A
dear friend of mine is losing her ferret to spindle cell carcinoma.
The vet believes this is caused by vaccinations. Hmmmm, imagine that.
My friend was kind enough to allow us to take pictures of the horrible
tumor on this ferret's back and I will have a page on my site soon with
the pics. Vaccinations that are required to attend shows....at what
price a ribbon or trophy? Is it really worth the life of your ferret?
When completing my paperwork for the upcoming AFA show, I notice that
the rules are even more stringent regarding vaccinations as your ferret
must be vaccinated with a specific Rabies vaccine determined by AFA.
I think this is going a little too far. Vaccinations are a medical
decision to be determined by your veterinarian. If the vaccine is
approved for ferrets, why isn't it good enough for AFA? On the other
hand, I beleive that AFA is a wonderful organization with wonderful
folks running it. They do good for shelters and they throw a wonderful
show. Great raffles, great people and a good time. They are more than
fair with the vendor table prices for shelters making it possible for
shelters to attend AND raise money. I love attending AFA shows,...
especially the Winter Nationals in York PA...darkness falls over PA
as we leave and we drive through the neighborhoods lit with Christmas
lights. It is a beautiful time we look forward to every year.

That's my piece for now.

Blessings,
Kim

Kimberly Fox
Director/Rescue Mom
Somethin Up My Sleeve Ferret Rescue
http://companiontalk.terrabox.com/SUMS-Rescue.html
Help The Helpless. SUPPORT PRIVATE RESCUE
Pay Pal accepted for donations at this email address.