From:
Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 15:00:21 +0800
>From:    tim fowler <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: jill in heat
>I must just clear this up.

Actually, I think you confused things.

>The jill in question will not 'bleed to death' if left in heat for too
>long.

No.  She will not "bleed to death".  However, jills staying in estrus
longer than 1 month are at risk of developing aplastic anemia.  They could
suffer from anorexia, depression, lethargy, swollen vulva with discharge,
vaginitus (vaginal infection) among others.  Jills become anemic due to the
loss of red blood cells and her bone marrow will be severaly suppressed.
In most cases, the anemia is not detected until it is too late.  There is
little hope for a jill with estrogen induced anemia - blood transfusions
are necessary and only work a very low part of the time.  Aplastic anemia
will result in a death that is very painful.  In the book written by Dr.
James G. Fox (Biology & Diseases of the Ferret) states about aplastic
anemia:

"Hemorage is the most common cause of death" and;

"Ferrets are typically in estrus for 2 months before death occurs".

>Here in the Uk we all own ferrets that have not been 'done' I have owned
>ferrets for 15 years, working them and breeding them.  A jill can go for
>1 season without being bred from.  She will suffer no ill effects.

See above.

>However, the next year she must be covered[bred with] a hob.  I use a
>vasectomised hob, which will knock her out of oestrus without the
>resulting litter of kits.

V-hobs are excellent.  However, a jill that is not intended for breeding
should be spayed.  A jill that has a hormone injection or has been put
with a v-hob will go thru all the motions of being pregnant.  Weight gain,
hormonal changes, emotions, molting, etc.  This in itself is hard on the
jill.

>In your case, Matan, i would look at the mating prosess.  It is the act
>of biting, quite hard and agressively, on the back of the neck, that puts
>the jill out of season, not the penetration of her.

From eveything I have experienced and read, this is exactly the opposite.
It is the penetration that releases the ovum.

>Does the hob do it properly?  He may be fertilising her, but not putting
>her out of season.  It is an interesting one, this, but dont rush to give
>your vet your hard earned money just yet.  He'll only give her a jab to
>put her out of season.  I would try another hob first, if your are really
>keen to breed a litter.

Yes - he will hopefully bring her out of season.  This may be for the best
if she has not "caught" naturally.  You could then use this time (her false
pregnancy) to see what having a pregnant jill is like, learn a bit more on
breeding ferrets, and save your jill's life by *not* letting her suffer
with possible aplastic anemia.

Amy Flemming