From:
"Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2010 15:14:35 -0400
Good Morning!

This post is not about me, my shelter, or my ferrets. It's about the
other rescues in MS, TN, and AR. It's also about the ferret families
not in rescue in these states. They may be suffering and need some
assistance.

The national news media is not really reporting on this natural
disaster as it should. Hundreds of homes were destroyed by tornados,
high winds, and flooding. Many residences and businesses are still
under massive amounts of water and, at last report, 31 people have died
in TN as result of last weeks storms. Most of the counties in middle
and northern TN have been declared federal disaster areas. Shelby
County, Memphis, has also been declared a disaster area. The Memphis
City Hall Building in downtown Memphis was under two feet of water at
one point. Many parts of Nashville are still under water and bodies
are still turning up as the waters recede. Scary stuff.

Arkansas got hammered by tornados and severe property damage and loss
of life has been reported by the local news - but virtually ignored by
the national news media. Arkansas usually gets hit first by most storm
systems as they pass through Texas and onto my area. I believe seven
tornados touched down in that state leaving many people dead and so
many homes are just gone! People have lost everything. I have contacted
Susan in Arkansas and she reports to be fine but she has lost a dear
friend due to the tornados that ripped through that state. She could
use a hug.

Mississippi, my home state, got hammered both weekends by high winds,
tornados, and flooding. Most of the loss of life and damage was due to
tornados and high winds of both weekends. Hundreds of homes completely
destroyed. Thankfully, the flood waters have subsided. But the death
toll in MS stands at 40 as reported by local media.

It is now being reported that these back-to-back storm systems and the
death and destruction left in its wake are being documented as the
worst disasters in this area since the Civil War.

I think the main reason for the lack of interest by national media
is that the tri-state area is well-known for rolling up their sleeves
and taking care of themselves and their neighbors...people here are
not waiting for FEMA to show up! Churches are opening up shelters
throughout the areas and helping anyone who needs assistance and
everyone who has a pickup and chain saw is pitching in to help clear
debris to enable the crews to restore power. It's hot here now....its
in the high 80's. Dangerous conditions for ferrets and their humans.

The purpose of this is to ask you all out there - if you know someone
who has ferrets and lives in these area, please please please check in
on them and see if you can help them out. Maybe they are fine and don't
need help. But maybe they do....and perhaps they are too shy to ask --
or perhaps they just don't know how to.....who to ask.....or they may
be just too proud...lots of southerners are. So, I am making this pea
for them.

I have been in contact with the local Red Cross shelters in the
tri-state areas and they will contact me if someone with ferrets comes
up requesting assistance. I have foster homes in all three states and
these nice folks will pitch in to help, if needed. I am also in contact
with the other animal rescue and shelter groups and they will,
likewise, contact me if something comes up.

And, please say a prayer for folks in these areas....they could use it.

Checking in again,

Maren Doshier
Raisins From Heaven
Hernando, MS (30 mi south of Memphis)