From:
International Ferret Congress <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2005 21:50:37 -0400
When the International Ferret Congress posted Scott Sanfilippo's message
about The Ferret Store's official policy on harmful treats, it was not to
advocate a boycott of TFS, although some IFC members have chosen to do
so.  The message was posted, with Scott's permission, simply to pass on
information.  We had notified the FML about progress that was being made
with Ferret Depot, PETsMART and PetCo on the issue, and since we had
contacted TFS, we felt we should also let the FML readers know what was
going on with them.

While some members of the IFC are disappointed with Scott's response,
and feel that TFS could and should do more to get harmful products
removed from the market, we also need to point out that TFS is not
totally ignoring the issue.  They are putting educational material on
their website, and marking the healthier treats as "Recommended Healthy".
Further, when Scott follows through on his word, he will be discussing
the issue with manufacturers.  The IFC recognizes that both of these
efforts are an important part of the process.

If we are to get harmful ferret products pulled off the market, there is
going to need to be a multi-level approach.  This will include education
of ferret owners whenever possible, educating product suppliers and
convincing them to carry only healthy products, and convincing the
manufacturers to stop producing the unhealthy products and concentrate
on developing things that are both a treat and nutritious.

This is not an endeavor that can be accomplished by one person or even
one group.  It is something that will take the efforts of many people
from many different angles, and so there is room for us all to be
involved.

There are 2 reasons the IFC started by approaching some of the major
ferret product suppliers and asking them to stop selling the harmful
products.  The first was timing.  We had corporate representatives at
the Symposium from PetCo, PETsMART and Ferret Depot, and could talk
to them face to face.  The Symposium was the first time we approached
them on this matter, and we included TFS in our efforts as soon as we
returned home.

The second reason is that money talks.  If we can get several or more of
the major ferret product suppliers refusing to buy the harmful products,
that is going to have a much greater impact on the manufacturers than
just having FML members write letters.  As has been pointed out, the FML
readers probably represent less then 1% of ferret owners, and presumably,
most of us are already not buying the harmful products.  And, the
suppliers that have agreed to stop stocking the harmful products have
also agreed to suggest to the manufacturers that healthy products need
to be developed.

The fact that we feel the major suppliers will have more influence does
not mean that the FML readers should not write to the manufacturers
themselves.  In fact, we encourage everyone who feels strongly about the
need to have healthy choices for our ferrets to join us in doing just
that.  In the next few days, we will be providing sample letters you can
use, if you do not feel like writing your own, as well as names and
addresses of where to send them.

The final part of the effort is education.  It is important for everyone
to help in this effort.  There is a lot of misinformation out there, and
a lot of ferret owners who haven't subscribed to lists where they can get
information, or read books likes Ferrets For Dummies.  It is important
that the more experienced owners and shelters reach out to others and
share their knowledge and experiences.

The IFC was founded, in part, to promote education.  Here is a quote
from the IFC website, a part of our official purpose.

The International Ferret Congress is formed exclusively for charitable
and educational purposes under section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal
Revenue Code, specifically as follows:

a. Enhance the welfare of the domestic ferret as a companion animal.

b. Provide ferret owners and veterinarians with access to the latest
   information on ferret husbandry and health care.

c. Foster communication, cooperation and understanding between other
   ferret-oriented organizations, such as clubs, shelters and breeders.

Members of the IFC hope that the issue of harmful treats is one that
unites ferret lovers to work toward a common goal, and not one that
promotes infighting.  We will all never agree on anything.  However,
we should be able to work together for the good of ferrets.

The International Ferret Congress Committee
http://www.ferretcongress.org