Date:
Sun, 27 May 2007 02:40:38 -0700
I know I've posted about a couple of our recent passings but I don't
think they got the official Sarah ferret greeting. I cherish those in
my scrapbook. In the past few months, we've had several losses. Would
you please give an official welcome to the following:

Princess, a deaf blaze old lady of at least 8 or 9, and never showed a
sign of illness, eating and drinking and the rest of the day sleeping,
who went quietly in her sleep and now meets her Silver Vanilla Flopsy
Furzilla at the Bridge.

Sandy, a sweet sable girl who while standoffish, was very playful and
loved everyone. She greets Dusty and Peanut and leaves behind Vin
Diesel Weasel and Fairy Buttercup, two of three kids needing adrenal
surgery

Gilda Snuffledooks who I found passed in her cage, her back arched,....
the morning after Sandy passed. I fell in love with Gilda at a show.
She belonged to one of the local "good breeders" that was closing down.
She got her name from a combination of a suggestion from my dad, of
our favorite comedienne and the funny little noises she would make,
snuffling in your ear, telling you secrets and dooking as she bounced
through the house a beautiful black sable ball of fur.

Stacie, our little nurse ferret who watched over all of the surgery
kids and until her last day, bopped through this house, weighing less
than a pound. Stacie was one of the ferrets that awakened my ability to
communicate with animals and will always occupy a special piece of my
heart and soul.I cried on the way to work the morning she passed as I
didn't think she could wait for me to get home. I raced home to find
her flat out in front of my bedroom door. I scooped her up in tears ,
knowing she had just recently passed and started making the calls when
I felt a tiny breath. I could not beleive she was still alive. She was
with me for less than an hour before she passed, but held out and
waited for me, God Bless her sweet soul for waiting to pass in my arms.
All my kids know how important it is that they be in my arm when that
time comes and it's rare that it happens any other way.

Peanut, who was never much of a cuddler but again, loved all the other
ferrets and was never an ounce of trouble...just pure bouncing joy.

Albi, our special Albino who travelled all the way from MA thanks to
April Armstrong and the assistance of Eric & Judith White. Albi was Sam
the cat's best friend. Sam kept his distance in Albi's last moments and
has only recently started reaching out to the group for another ferret
friend. I recall a hysterical story about Albi and getting in the trash
can...it's in the archives and is a wonderful testimony to how
intelligent ferrets are but will share it again if anyone requests.

Strauss, my beautiful chocolate boy, part of the Miller rescue. In
spite of our suggestions to get him vetted or turned over to us, he
went on for another month with the breeder's diagnosis of impacted oil
glands. When he was finally surrendered, we found that "the oil glands"
were actually malignant tumors. He had surgery to remove them which
also required re-construction of his foreskin so he could urinate
properly. God bless Dr. Ho and Dr. Boyd at Pulaski vet clinic for
pulling off this very delicate surgery. Somehow I always felt that he
would not be around much longer although he seemed fine. I decided to
keep him, after he decided to keep me, always finding him curled up
with my kids. I felt it was too high of a risk to adopt him out to
someone else to fall in love with him and lose him too soon. Instincts,
once again proven correct.

Still with me but with cardio myopathy is my Taz. My pillow and lovey
dovey furo. Since I've been home recovering from surgery, he is
permanent free roam, never having to walk too far for his food or
water. When not in my bedroom, while Bastian and DeNiro are out, he
hangs either in his basket or in a blanket on the daybed with me,
scurrying over when it's time for his special baby food. Tonight, we
shared insomniac theatre together, he with his baby food, and me with a
people snack, hoping I could go back to sleep for just a couple more
hours. Taz is remarkable It's strange how your subcounscious works. I
think I've had this propendency to stay up all night to sort of guard
the house. The cats cover the day bed being ever so careful not to step
on my foot...or Taz. He has frequent accidents, I imagine due to the
Lasix he is on. In an effort to not get anything on him , he walks as
he releives himself , leaving a 3 foot trail, still getting his belly
wet. He is used to the baby wipes and mini baths and totally cracks me
up. When he finishes his baby food feedings, I hold up the paper towel
and he wipes his faces as proper as any human. I've never experienced
a cardio patient, but know there is no cure for my baby boy who is at
least 9 and probably closer to or approaching 10. I treasure every
heart beat against my face when we are chilling together. He makes
these little noises ranging from grunts to the sound of a cooing dove.
Even as he waits for his baby food to heat up on the coffee table
candle warmer, he sits patiently, his head resting on my leg. When
his time here is up, I just don't know how i will handle this one.
My sweetest, most loving boy.

Another post coming, I have an awesome suggestion to you rescues!!!

Hugs,
Kim

Kimberly Fox
Director/Rescue Mom
Somethin Up My Sleeve Ferret Rescue
http://companiontalk.terrabox.com/SUMS-Rescue.html
Help The Helpless. SUPPORT PRIVATE RESCUE
Pay Pal accepted for donations at this email address.