Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 14:49:48 -0700
I got home this morning after a short day stop in Chicago to see my
honorary nephew Sam and to thank Kim Schilling and Dr. Susan Brown
for their attention and care at the symposium. If it wasn't for them,
I would not have made it through the symposium and would have been in
hospital much sooner and perhaps longer. Kim went so far as to buy
chicken broth from the hotel room service (say goodbye to $10) and
never peeped a sound when I largely wasted it later. The two checked on
me throughout the symposium, giggled at the sounds I was making in the
bathroom, made sure I had something to drink, that I wasn't actually
dying, and would tell me jokes to help cheer me up during a horrific
weekend.

Kim Schilling and Dr. Susan Brown were not the only people who
conspired to keep me functioning. The entire speaker staff allowed
themselves to be shifted in speaking order so that I could rest and
rehydrate before my presentations (and other things I will never
speak of again). Dr. Bruce Williams was extremely kind and was also
instrumental in keeping me on my feet in ways I cannot adequatey
explain but deeply appreciate. Dr. Sari Kanfer was a continuous source
of support and cheerfulness. There were others involved but because I
was so ill, I did not keep track of them. Some may have helped and I
never heard or found out about the assistance. Nonetheless, I
appreciate all help from everyone.

I also want to thank the participants of the symposium. Switching
speaking schedules impacts people negatively, and yet I did not hear
a single person complain. In fact, most of the symposium attendees made
a point to speak kindly to me and wish me better. It was quite moving
actually, but maybe I'm just becoming sentimental in my old age.
Seriously, I was very touched from all the concern and positive
support. I also thank those who called me at the hospital to cheer me
up. Someone sent a basket of spam with silver mirror balloons, but
there was no card and I don't know who you were. Whoever sent it, thank
you! I suspect it was from someone who knew of my love of the chopped
pork product (I actually love the stuff!) or from someone who knew of
my fondness for Monty Python. I thank all of you.

The IFC committee was wonderful. My concern was to insure the
participants would hear my presentations, but I had the distinct
feeling their concern was solely my health. They were extremely helpful
and understanding. Bill Gruber was most helpful, never complaining that
he should have had my presentation long before he recieved it at the
last moment. Linda Iroff, Julie Fossa, and Francine Prager all made me
feel like I wasn't letting anyone down, which I continuously felt I was
doing. I thank all of you.

Thanks to Joel Vanderbush who stepped in for me to lead the zoo trip
Sunday afternoon. Although I have not heard anything about the trip,
I know Joel did a wonderful job. I also know he would love the job of
leading the zoo trip for all future symposiums and the IFC would do
well to use him for that purpose. Thanks for the help, Joel.

My medical problem is a lesson for all who place too much emphasis on
creditials rather than knowledge. I was in the hospital from Sunday
to Thursday and each day my doctors got together and pronounced a new
diagnosis. First, it was food poisoning. Then pancreatitis. Then it was
food posioning again. Then it was a viral gastroenteritis. The last day
in hospital I was told it was originally a food posioning that caused
sudden acute pancreatitis, BUT, it could have been a nasty nasty virus,
OR, maybe both. I teased the gaggle of doctors by putting up a paper
listing the "Diagnosis of the Day." I told them a veterinarian could
have it figured out in a single visit. They were amused, as was I, but
then I was living on intraveinous morphine. All those creditials and
not one degreed professional knew better than the old guy in the ER
waiting room who told me I had the "Ups and Downs".

It took about twice as long as usual to drive home. It will take some
time to write notes to all those who have sent kind words. Please be
patient.

Again, thanks to all during this recent illness. Thank you.

Bob C

[Moderator's note: Yeah, a veterinarian could have figured it out and
dispensed some medication... but if it didn't work, of course they'd
have to put you down ;-)  BIG]