From:
Bridget Bolland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 14:17:08 -0600
I hope that I don't flame anyone, especially since I don't usually get into
any debates and I have found myself in the very same situation, but if
people are buying the sick or too young ferrets from the pet stores simply
because they feel sorry for the "poor thing," the stores will just get more
sick and/or too young ferrets in to replace the one(s) that you bought.
Yes, there are some responsible stores, but I don't believe that they are
the norm.  Most stores are in business to make a buck.  If they were to
either medically treat or ship back sick or too young ferrets that will cost
money, thus they will lose profits or worse, go into the red.  They just are
not going to do this.  As soon as the ferrets are sold they order more.  It
is a vicious cycle.  Are you (caring ferret lover) going to buy a sick or
too young ferret every week?  This doesn't solve the problem.  I believe
that if a store is selling these types of ferrets and you make a request on
how to rectify the problem, i.e. medical care, changing supplier, etc., and
nothing happens, take your business (your money) elsewhere.  I know that it
may be difficult in small towns, but if something doesn't change more and
more ferrets will suffer.

Bridget