From:
Ellen Van Landingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 1996 10:49:21 +0000
Steve & Colleen Woodcock wrote:
>So far, out of the 9 ferrets living here...  3 of the 4 males have had to
>go in for surgery of one kind or another:...  Do the males tend to have
>more of these problems?

Well, our sample is not statistically significant (only 7 ferrets so far),
but our experience has been different from Steve's.  All three of our
ferrets who have needed surgery have been females: one spleen and two
adrenals.  One of these three subsequently died of insulinoma; the other two
made complete recoveries (so cheer up, Kelleen!).  The only conclusion I can
draw from this is that the distribution of these kinds of problems in
ferrets is *not* sex-linked, and that we and the Woodcocks have had random
luck of opposite kinds.  What do our vets think?

ellen & the Gang of Four
(Banjo, Rip Van Weasel, Mike's Fault, and Possum)