From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 1997 23:14:59 -0400
Hello FML - With the Memorial Day weekend here - should you need ferret
care/sick ferret care advice until you can reach your vet - I will be around
either by e-mail or call at 703-765-4353.  Hope all ferrets stay well and
healthy over the holiday and all here have a good one, but if needed - I
take calls 24 hours a day.

A number of people have been reporting what seems to be another ferret "bug"
making the rounds.  This is a gastro-intestinal upset of some type.  They
symptoms are mucous diarrhea at first with stools then turning loose and
colors ranging from brown, tan to greenish.  The ferrets have continued to
eat and drink through this and it seems to last from a day or two for most,
with others reporting four days.  One case reported in an older ferret did
have secondary problems.  So, even though ferrets continue to eat - should
be alert especially for older ferrets.  Cases heard of so far have been
along east coast.

Should this bug or whatever visit your house - keep an eye on food a water
intake to make sure ferret stays hydrated.  First day or so seems most
severe so you might want to add some pedialyte to your ferret's water or
give them a some by infant medicine dropper.  A bit of pepto-bismol might
also help settle the stomach.  If the diarrhea lasts more than a day or so,
or your ferret is not eating well, you should see the vet to be safe and
take a stool sample to be checked.

Burglars - Well, in addition to having a house fire; we also had a burglary
several years ago.  This occurred during the day and the burglars seemed to
be most interested in electronic things -- police called them "shopping list"
bandits.  Although the room where the ferrets were was "tossed", the ferrets
were not bothered and the burglers did shut the door -- whether to keep the
ferrets from getting out or not, we will never know.  However, most ferrets
are cautious when new people come to visit and will observe them from a
distance before investigating closer.  Indeed, when the police came, all of
the ferrets took one look and dashed for cover.

I think that most ferrets would err on the side of caution when someone they
don't know suddenly makes an appearance, and like other animals, would
certainly pick-up bad vibes from scent and actions of the burglars.  Of
course, there are always exceptions -- one of my guys, a nutty blaze -
broadsides any male he sees, jumping with legs spread wide.  This is a big
game to him and seems to be a characteristic in his line - his
great-grandfather, grand-father, father, older brothers and sisters are all
"flying and jumping ferrets".  His older blaze sister, Sweet Pea can jump
great distances.  When I spot one of them getting ready to fly at a visitor,
I usually warn by shouting, "Watch out, Incoming Ferret".  However, if their
human target is moving, their trajectory is often off and they will whiz by
harmlessly.  Landings are sometimes tough.  Although Baby Beau often lands
and does a sommersault.  Never a dull moment.  Cheers, Meg