From:
New Rainbow Bridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2012 10:46:40 -0400
>I'm an independent filmmaker who is owned by two ferrets named Falcor
>and Frisco. Falcor plays Jasper in my last short film "Jake & Jasper:
>A Ferret Tale". I think anyone who saw that movie could tell you that
>I did not portray the ferrets inaccurately at all, as you assumed I
>would do in The Ferret Squad.

You showed Jasper tunnelling his way out of a shed where Jake was
trapped, and then retrieve a cell phone so Jake could call for help.
Yes, I'd say you protrayed ferrets inaccurately. Anyone who owns a
ferret knows it would steal the phone and hide it. Then he'd lose
interest, and run off chasing a butterfly.

In fact, it was your 20-minute preview version of Jake & Jasper that
I was thinking of when I wrote my initial message.

>In fact the lead ferret character in the film, "Digger" (once again,
>played by my ferret Falcor), is adopted from a shelter in the film.
>The ferret shelter mom Olivia (played by award winning actress
>Gabrielle Rose) does not let Max adopt Digger without first testing
>him and educating him on all things ferret. She won't give one her
>babies to just anyone. She even grills Max's father.

That doesn't change the facts that people will be attracted to ferrets,
and that ferrets are available from nearly any pet store, often for
less than $100. At that price, they're still an impulse purchase, which
means that they'll be in the hands of people who have no idea of how to
care for them or what they're getting into.

>The Ferret Squad is all about ferret rescues, so I'm surprised it
>doesn't have your support, but let me address another issue. You bring
>up what happened with 101 Dalmations. Yes, that happened, and that
>happened with movies like Beverly Hills Chihuaha as well, despite
>Disney putting a huge disclaimer at the beginning of the end credits
>about doing your research before adopting a pet. However, by your
>logic, we should have no animal movies at all. In fact, animals
>should not appear even for a second, let alone be a main character.

I could live with animals not being used in films... and so could a lot
more ferrets.

>I believe that is NOT the answer to the problem. The answer is
>education.

I doubt sincerely that anyone will be truly educated by watching a
feature film... even yours.

>Anyways, the film will be made regardless, as we have just lined up
>some extra product placement deals and corporate sponsorships, so
>your post telling people to not donate is not going to change that.

I'm not surprised that the film will be made regardless of who objects;
you're in it for the profit. So I'm sure your movie will be made, no
matter how many ferrets it ultimately harms.

>But since so many ferret people (including myself) read the FML,
>I felt I needed to tell you MY point of view on the situation. Do
>with it what you will!

Fair enough. But those of us who've devoted our lives to protecting
and caring for them shouldn't be supporting your film. And I've
received several responses from ferret rescue operators from all
around the country who know I told the truth, and are glad I had the
guts to say so.

Good luck with your film, but always remember that you've harmed far
more ferrets than you'll ever help with it.

Best,
Steve Bodofsky
The New Rainbow Bridge, and
The Last Chance Ferret Rescue