From:
Chrissy Cappelluti <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 1993 17:44:00 -0400
Phil,

My husband and I have dogs, cats, birds, ferrets and a skunk.  All
of the animals get along with eachother, though the ferrets aren't
left unsupervised with anyone...basically because we feel sorry for
all the other animals and wouldn't  wish the little ferret heathen
on them unsupervised...think of the chaos!  Basically, as long as
you are careful when you introduce the dogs to the ferrets, you
should be able to get them used to eachother.

Regarding Ferretone and Linatone.  These are vitamin supplements
manufactured by 8 in One Co.  Ferretone is specifically designed for
ferrets, Linatone certainly won't hurt them and is usually very easy
to get hold of.

Regarding Descenting:  Most veterinarians believe that descenting is
an unnecessary operation and refuse to perform this surgery, or if
they do it, it is outrageously expensive.  Chemical descenting is
still practiced by some vets, but is a horrible way to go.  It
usually doesn't work and frequently has some really awful side
effects.  DESCENTING DOESN'T CHANGE THE SMELL OF THE FERRET!!!!!  So
why bother with it??  Descenting simply removes the odor sacks, much
like a skunk who can no longer spray.  The daily smell of the animal
will not change one way or the other.  None of my whole animals are
descented.  They only spray when they are extremely agitated or
afraid.  This is a natural defense.  Spaying/neutering a ferret will
lower the animal's odor, but nothing can replace the effects of good
hygiene.  Keep the bedding clean and fresh, bathe when needed and
keep the litterboxes clean; these will do more towards combatting
odor than any surgery!

regarding polecats: BIG difference.  Ferrets are domestic animals.
Polecats are wild animals.  Even if captively bred, Polecats ARE NOT
domestic.  Therefore, you're dealing with all of the inherent
instincts and inhibitions of a wild animal.  I'm not saying that
some don't make good pets, just that you have to know what you're
doing in order to make them one.  Ferrets were domesticated over 500
years before the house cat.  They have no wild characteristics.  As
long as they are properly raised, they are the best little pets
around!

I'd be happy to talk to you more about your questions.  Please
consider writing to The American Ferret Association, Inc. for some
of their educational information.  The address is: P.O. Box 3986
                                          Frederick, MD 21701 USA
 Take Care!
 Chrissy

Peggy,
 Stick to your guns!!! If you keep your fuzzie's physical environment
non-changing, the blindness should be easily dealt with.  I wouldn't
let him out to play unsupervised, but there's no reason he couldn't
live a long and healthy life!
 Chrissy