From:
Thor Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:00:09 -0700
Hi Everyone!
It's been a while since i posted last time, my last post was about
insulinoma and i really needed advice, i didn't get any replies to my post,
either on my e-mail or on the fml, i've since been looking for answers
other places i can think of.

I read the fml list every day and i think this is a wonderful list for
inspiration and help on some really though issues, lately i've been reading
a lot of posts where people are asking for help and advice in different
matters, and it could be that the answers are being sent to them directly,
but not to the fml, which is really sad in my opinion since a lot of the
times i/we learn a lot and can benefit from other peoples experiences,
please post those answers on the fml for other people to read as well as
replying directly to those concerned.

Lately the topics of the fml have been in big part about skeeter, haikus,
debate over modern ferret, and now names.  i enjoy reading all of them,
don't get me wrong, but i wonder where the more serious matters are being
discussed, maybee i am not the only one who is not getting any responses to
their important questions.

I realize that i was unfortunate not to receive any replies, maybee my post
was simply overlooked, or as in sometimes the case being we assume someone
else is answering that post, by sending the answers to fml as a copy
recipient this could be avoided, i haven't always done so myself, but i
will in the future.

Please understand that i'm not flaming anyone or throwing stones here, i
just think that a wider variety of post topics could be covered this way
so that different matters of interest appear on the list.

I wanted to reply to the person who was in agony after visiting a shelter
and turned to another shelter where he/she did adopt from, unfortunately
my husband deleted yesterdays fml by misstake.

I don't have a specific reply, but i would look up an animal rights
foundation, or ferret foundation and ask that they look in to the specific
shelter, or maybee talking to other shelters in the area that may be
familiar with the shelter in question, to try to influence the shelter to
improve its conditions for the sake of the animals.  I am curious myself to
know more about what to do in situations like this, anyone out there with
advice?

Also i would like to ask about my ferret Dumpy, i have no real history on
him, i adopted him a coupple of months ago, i knew he wasn't a healthy
ferret, and we suspected insulinoma.  full bloodwork panel was done at his
arrival at the shelter, came back a little off, since he was starving, but
normal otherwise.

He had his enlarged spleen taken out, and while under his vet looked around
at his other organs, and everything looks perfectly normal, there were no
signs of tumors on his pancreas.

he was starving himself when i started fostering him, and i fed him duck
soup every 3-4 hours, he is now eating Bob C's chicken gravy and has gone
from less than a pound to 3.5

I did a fasting glucose test on him and the results were 55, clear
indication of insulinoma, his vet said he is hypoglycemic,

he now eats on his own the chicken gravy (and loves it) but only if i wake
him and place him right in front of his bowl, he'll start licking the air
and slowly lower his head to the bowl, he will eat about half the amount
as opposed to when i place him on my lap.  he is on prednisone, and is out
of the cage most of the time, he does go exploring and will look for me
to play and chase him, he is a little wobbly and clumpsy but has made a
remarkable improvment with his weak hind legs since his spleen was taken
out.  but i wonder why he still wont eat on his own, he sometimes picks up
food from the floor and hides it under the couch, but he doesn't eat it,
even if i know he must be hungry, sometimes during the night he will eat
some of his Kaytee, but mostly not.  i always leave a bowl of chicken gravy
overnight but he never touches it.

can he have some type of brain dammage?  due to his previous starvation?
does he not know he is hungry?  my understanding is that If he has
insulinoma his other organs would shut down first in order to preserve his
brain functions, how come his liver and pancreas showed no signs of tumors,
and yet his glucose is so low?  he has no excessive salivation, and he
doesn't paw at his mouth, but he sometimes seems to be panting like a dog
(only for a few seconds) as if he had a little trouble breathing.  somedays
are better for him than others, and he will be alert and active, for hours,
and even get himself into misschieve such as turning the waste basket
upside down and hiding socks, and wooden spoons.  other days he sleeps
mostly.

I feed the same diet every day, so i don't know what i could do to increase
his good days.

i've never experienced insulinoma before and i do read everything i can, i
don't expect Dumpy to be a "normal ferret" but i am committed to making his
life as happy and painless as i can.

Sorry this post was so long, i hope someone can answer these questions and
shed a little light,

Sincerely
Josephine
BTW, can insulinoma be contagious to other ferrets?