From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 08:11:49 -0700
Without starting a debate, let us keep in mind that anecdotal evidence
is seldom clear enough to be the basis of any scientific facts.  It has
never been shown that large breeder or pet store ferrets are more likely
to get adrenal disease, lymphoma, or any of the other cancer or
cancer-like diseases our kids are prone too.

The fact is, ANY kind of breeding ANY domestic species is likely to result
in genetic predispositions to disease.  That is why so many breeds of dog
have types of cancer or physiological diseases they are "prone" too.
(FYI, scotties who have died of bladder cancer, which they are prone to,
are being used in a study on bladder cancer in humans.)

Also, with the possible exception of ECE and ADV, and other infectious
diseases, pet stores are most likely in no way related to illnesses in
ferrets.  Not to mention the fact that almost ANY ferret you adopt from
a shelter is STILL most likely a pet store ferret from one of the larger
breeders.  All three of my rescue/adoptions have been Marshall Farms
ferrets, and of the 3 ferrets I've gone through serious ferret-prone
illnesses with, two were adoptions.

I have always supported the idea that everyone's first animal should be
adopted.  Ferret or not.  And when someone asks me about where they can
get a ferret in my area, I tell them that the Humane Society gets ferrets
in once a month or so, and that there is a shelter in Beatrice, and I
don't mention that PetCo sells them.

However, my most recent ferret math happened at the PetCo.  And you know
what?  I guess too each their own, but if I see a ferret in a pet store
who is sick, needs help, too old to be there, too young to be there, etc.,
I won't leave it there.

We can all talk about not supporting corporate greed and thats fine, and I
value the lives of my fur-babes as highly as my own, but Marshall Farms is
by far NOT the most greedy corporation I can think of, and if you want to
stop corporate greed, you are going to have to go without a lot more than
buying ferrets from pet stores.

My point is, there is no good evidence that large breeding operations
are responsible for or further any of the diseases that ferrets are prone
too.  And while adopting from shelters should always be a person's first
consideration, sometimes it just doesn't happen that way, and sometimes
ferrets in pet stores NEED to come home with someone who KNOWS about
ferrets.

If all we knowledgable ferret people stopped buying ferrets from pet
stores, then ALL the ferrets we adopted from shelters would first have
had to go through neglect and possible abuse, many if not most would be
emotionally scarred and poorly trained.  And many would die in the pet
stores who are otherwise being saved.  I won't do it.

Melissa Barnes
Mira, Tasha, Robin, Nietzsche, Samurai and O'Dell
Missing Cael and Booboo always