Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 13:12:23 -0500
Sheri,

Rather than our skin being plesant tasting (altho' sometime besides a from
of love or play invite they might like the salt), I think that it's a form
of inviting us to play and if we ignore them then they have to get our
attention a little better, bite harder, kinda like the kids pulling at our
skirts (or pants if your not a skirt fan;), when we ignore the kids they
pull harder if they ask us and we ignore them they speak louder.  Ferrets
naturally play ruff with each other, boy their skin must be very tough, and
our skin just won't hold up under the same conditions;), so they have to be
taught how to play nice with people.  If not taught they just don't know.
Back to the tasting good, mine will all stick their noises up in the air to
raw meat and after all that's what our skin and muscle is, raw (sorry for
the graphics here, just the truth) meat.  So unless you adjust your ferret
to raw meat he probably wouldn't even give you a second thought as to being
food unless maybe you tasted like totally ferret, Iams or ferrivite or
ferritone;)!

With a baby crying and flailing it's arms and legs the ferret probably sees
this as an invition to play and plays harder and we all know that harder
means skin puctures and babies are unable to get up and walk off or even
push them away.  So I don't feel it has anything to do with hunger or
visciousness only ignorance of the owner and parents for not watching both
when the ferrets are out or perhaps carlessness.

Vicky

"Families are Forever"