From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:41:48 -0600
Finally, you can mix your own vitamin and mineral tonic using published
resources as your guide.  This is much easier than you might think, but
it is not cheaper.  The sole advantage is that if the ferret only needs a
couple of vitamins or minerals, then that is all you will dose them with.
I use this method, BUT I own the scales, magnetic mixers, and other
equipment necessary for the task.  Some pharmacies might be willing to
mix the vitamin and mineral formulation for you, which is a good choice
if you can afford the price.

The exception that proves the rule for the above discussion of
supplementing vitamins and minerals in ferrets is adrenal disease.  In my
study of ferret skeletons, I have noted adrenal ferrets display severe
osteoporosis -- the thinning of their bones.  In most cases the loss of
density is moderate, but in neutered female ferrets it is especially
severe.  In 78% of neutered female skeletons suffering from known adrenal
disease, I found a degree of bone damage that would be considered
debilitating in humans.  This includes collapsed bodies of vertebrae,
damaged femoral necks and heads, thinned and broken ribs, crushed tail
vertebrae, crushed, broken or warped transverse and spinal processes on
thoracic and lumbar vertebrae, and up to 60% density loss in the bones
of the pelvis and extremities.  Those findings are pretty profound, and
while it doesn't offer evidence WHY adrenal disease is associated with
osteoporosis, or HOW it causes it, the association between thin bones
and having adrenal disease is clear.

I cannot ethically or morally suggest calcium supplementation be done
on adrenal ferrets because I do not know what would occur if such
supplementation took place; it is conceivable it might cause additional
harm without careful veterinary supervision.  Calcium is an important
electrolyte and unsupervised supplementation could potentially be
dangerous, either directly or by influencing levels of other elecrolytes.
But I do think osteoporosis in adrenal ferrets should be one of the
things vets look for and treat.  If properly treated, adrenal ferrets
may have less mobility problems and a better quality of life.

Bob C