From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 20:56:37 -0400
>Hi Folks.  Gussie will eat just about anything that doesn't run.  Anyway
>my husband is doing some work on the floors and left a pair of knee pads
>in the ferret room.  It looks like Gussie may have eaten a good part
>(about an inch or two) of the rubber straps.
>
>I've been keeping an eye on him, giving him extra petromalt and nothing has
>passed.  He is eating, pooping and behaving like his usually crazy self...
>should I be concerned?  Is it possible that the rubber actually broke down
>and digested?

Or did he just chew them up and hide them somewhere?  Rubber doesn't show
up on x-rays - observation is the way to go here.

-Dr. Karen

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail is provided for general informational purposes only.  It is
in no way intended as a replacement for a consultation with a qualified
licensed veterinarian.  If you are concerned about your pet's health, you
should seek the advice of your regular veterinarian as soon as possible.

[Sukie note: for those who don't know, sometimes things pass, sometimes
vets dislodge them with barium enemas, often they require surgery.  A
complete blockage requires rapid surgical correction since the ferret
quickly gets past the point of surviving correction or dies on its own.
Do ferret-proof carefully (though even then accidents can happen or a
ferret may get a huge furball, or...)]