From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 00:08:53 -0500
>Has anyone microchipped their ferrets?  I would be interested in hearing
>pros and cons.  Is there one particular brand which is more universal
>that the others?

I have microchipped all of mine, and quite a few others.  The ferrets have
not seemed to mind it - none were done under anesthesia, and usually their
noses were stuck in a puddle of Ferretone, and they couldn't have cared
less about getting the chip implanted.  I have seen no problems from the
chip - either in ferrets or in other animals.

As far as types of chips - most of them nowadays are readable by any
reader, so that's not as much of a problem as it used to be.  Personally I
use the AVID chip, and have been pleased with the company's database and
support when animals have been located - my clinic got a call last year
about a dog that we'd chipped who was found running down a street in Las
Vegas.  We're in Pennysylvania.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.