Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 01:26:04 -0500
I have had two ferrets with chordomas at the end of their tails and
both were removed. If you don't remove it, it will continue to grow.
Removal is an easy procedure, especially if done while it's still
small. The end section of the tail must be removed, and hopefully you
will have an experienced ferret surgeon, because they must also be
aware that some extra ‘padding' must be left over the bone at the
point of removal. This is because when the skin heals, it will tighten,
and without that extra padding, then the bone will be pressing against
the skin, making it more susceptible to possibly breaking thru. I have
not had this problem with either ferret who had the operation done and
both recovered quickly and completely, and were MUCH happier without a
growing tumor on the end of their tail.

Here is a link with some information. Scroll down to pages 36-41:

<http://www.ferrethealth.msu.edu/Diseases/Urogenital_Skin_SpecialSenses_Muskuloskeletal.pdf>

And you can also search the Ferret Health List Archives for postings
from vets and ferret owners about chordomas:

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/

Jeff
In Loving Memory of Neo, Trinity, Morphy, Dozer, Possum, Pip, Pop,
Sabrina, Minnie Mouse, Hunny, Misty, Frodo, Baggins, and Mr. Parker
Caring for Luna, Baby Girl, Boomer, and Zoomer