From:
Patricia Willard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 6 May 1994 10:25:19 -0400
Tarra,

I would like to offer some possible points in your upcoming discussion  with
the president of the humane society for the radio talk.

1) When you get her questions and outline for the discussion, know your
answers but be prepared for any "side questions" she may throw in.

2) Do not allow yourself to be drawn into a debate.  Stick only to facts.  If
you lose your cool, you can hurt the actual ferret standing as many people
will associate your temperment with the ferret itself.  That is just the way
people are.  If they do not understand something, they will formulate a
conclusion based on your attitude and/or temper.

3) Although the McDowell case is important to all of us who understand
ferrets, it can become an emotional issue and therefore it would be wiser to
stick only to facts which will lead you to respond to her, not react to her.

4) Forget that you are on radio and that others can hear you.  Think of her
as one person who you are responding to.  Someone who doesn't know about
ferrets and your job is to EDUCATE her.  Do not allow her to suck you into a
debate.  That would play directly into her hands.  If you play this out
right, you could win a very valuable person over to our side.

Best of Luck!

TotFerret