From:
Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 01:58:42 -0500
Hi,

I wanted to thank everyone who wrote to me in response to my concerns about
MF ferrets and adrenal disease.  You have helped to put my mind more at
ease.  And I appreciate reading about everyone who has MF ferrets that have
NOT developed adrenal disease, especially the older ferrets.

Everything about the shelters housing more MF (since these are more likely
to be bought from pet stores on impulse) and sick ferrets (since these are
more likely to be turned over by less dedicated owners) makes sense.  And I
do see where the shelter numbers would be misleading.  I'm no longer
panicking.  I'm just new to all this (it's only been 3 1/2 weeks!).

I do still have just a couple quick questions: "Tracy" loves raisins.  How
many is too many?  And how often is too often?

Also, the pet store told me she was about 16 weeks old.  After A LOT of
reading, talking to other ferret owners, and visiting my first ferret show
(yesterday), I think she was actually closer to 13 weeks old.  She has
gained a lot (in my opinion) of weight and has gotten longer.  I understood
that they had pretty much stopped growing by 16 weeks, true?  She has gained
about 1/2 - 3/4 of a pound in 3 1/2 weeks.  After seeing all the ferrets at
the show, she doesn't seem overweight.  Is this normal?  Am I guessing the
age right?

Just one more!  My SO is not thrilled that Tracy has come to live with us.
She was rescued from the pet store.  (She had a broken leg and they wanted
to euthanize.) One of the things he complains about is that he can smell her
when he walks by her cage.  I don't think this is a "real" odor problem or
health problem.  I bathe her once a week and change the bedding every 3 days
(as Deborah Jeans recommends).  Her litter box is ALWAYS used and cleaned
out every day.  I use recycled newspaper pelleted litter (and there is no
odor from the box, even right before I clean it).  I also spray her with a
ferret deodorant daily.  My question is: what spray deodorant works best?
I'm currently using "Four Paws".

Thank you for all the help and advice!

Kim