From:
Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 1995 15:42:52 -0400
Hello all!

I just wanted to post a note to thank people for the few responses I
received in regards to my "Name that Illness" post.  Paleface has been to
the vet.  His bloodwork indicates that he is indeed healthy.  His health
does seemed to be improving.  He eats like a hog and is gaining some weight.
I'm keeping a close eye on him, and we'll be off to the doctor again if I
notice any negative changes.

While I'm here, I'll comment on a few of the subjects that have arisen as of
late.

Beginning with the least pleasant, PLEASE DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER "DECLAWING"
YOUR FERRET.  What a horrible mutilation.  Consider having your fingernails
and fingertips removed.  As a pet owner, you must be willing to make some
sacrifices (repairing/replacing damaged furnishings, ferret-proofing,
cleaning up "accidents", putting up plants, covering carpeting in dig zones,
as well as making regular vet visits, cleaning bedding/cages/etc., etc.
etc.) Taking care of a little one and sharing the pleasures that they offer
means responsibility and often means that you must give a little of
yourself.  Enough said; I'll remove myself from my soapbox.  (Sorry, I feel
very strongly about this issue.)

On a funnier note, what a riot to hear of a fuzzie that enjoys being
vacuumed!  Paleface, on the other hand, is mortally terrified of the vacuum
cleaner.  He promptly and spontaneously evacuated his bowels once when I
started the thing up too close to him.  Ever since then I've been sure to
give him ample warning, and I relocate him to another room for vacuuming
time.  Wouldn't want to stress him out.

As for toys and sounds that get the boy's attention, I have a collection of
Buddhist singing bowls and bells.  Want to get a ferrets immediate and
undivided attention?  Wow do these do the trick.  The minute Paleface hears
a resonating bell, he makes a beeline for the sound, noses right up to the
bell and looks all around it, searching for the "off" switch.  It's truly
funny to watch him put his head inside a singing bowl and snuffle around.
Again, I've resigned fooling around with the bells and bowls to times when
he is sequestered in his room (or when I am trying to "ferret him out" of a
hiding place) for fear of distressing him.

Regarding great games/toys, Paleface goes wild when a drag I string of beads
or a drain plug chain across the linoleum or wood floor.  He will tirelessly
chase the beads or chain back and forth and around and around.  It's even
funnier because he can't quite get a grip on the smooth floor so he runs
really funny, sort of a low, sprawling scuttle.  I believe he is chasing the
sound moreso than the object because, when I stop dragging the beads/chain,
he looses interest.

Ah well, enough ferret "tails" for the moment.  Great sympathies to all
those who have lost little ones.  Your stories are heartbreaking.  Many
serve as good reminders to us all to be very aware of where your fuzzies are
and of how safe their environment is.

Take care all,

Gina
and