From:
Judith Emery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 07:06:55 -0800
A few weeks ago, I took my little guy, Buddy, to the vet for routine tooth
cleaning.  The blood work-up results came back funny (elevated lymphocyte
count and anemia) so we did a bone marrow aspiration.  The result came back
lymphocytic leukemia.  There isn't much information out there about this
specific condition in ferrets.

He's now on prednisone which has improved his appetite and seems to be
making him more comfortable.  The vet mentioned the possiblity of doing
chemo or radiation therapy on him but I don't want to put him through that.

I was just wondering if anyone else has been through this with there ferret
and could give me some pointers on what to expect.  I'm particularly
concerned about how painful this could get and how quickly it happens.
Also, if there's anything else I can give him to make him more comfortable,
I'd appreciate the advice.  He's already on Timmy's tonic and I'm trying to
give him Pau D'arco and vitamin C.

Thanks for all your help.

Judith