From:
Patrick Faas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 02:55:50 CEST
Charlie wrote: I just wondered how others deal with this question.  biting,
that is.  Well, I taught Stinky not to bite by a very simple method: by
threatening to bite back.  I was rather surprised not to have read about
this method, since it proved very effective.  You just open your mouth and
show your teeth.  Very useful, when a ferret is trying to go for your nose.
Open your mouth further as the ferret comes nearer.  The human mouth and
teeth are substantially larger than those of a ferret, so the animal is
likely to be impressed.  The message is easily understood, since it is
basic animal language.

I once had to put Stinky s whole head in my mouth, so she could experience
its full gorging power.  Since then a slight widening of the jaw is enough
to deter her.  She often does the same.  So we open our mouths and then
touch noses, without biting each other.  The whole little ritual has become
a sort of ferret Hello .

We are all quite safe from her nose nipping now.  I can trust her all over
my face.

One must admit that the system is less effective for toe nipping.  One
simply can t always get down on one s knees fast enough.  But then; toe
nipping is not as dangerous as nose nipping.  Especially to those who are
accustomed to wearing shoes.

Greetings
Patrick

ps All these funny stashing stories!  I have no idea what Stinky stashes,
unless we actually see her carrying it of, because she hides things under
the floor boards, where humans can't reach.  Our pasports, credits cards,
mushrooms,potatoes, olives, socks and whatever else she might have stashed,
will make an interesting study for future urban archeology.