From:
Darrin Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 01:06:05 +1000
>Subject: DARRIN`S P.S.
>
>HERE IS DARRIN`S P.S., VERBATEM: "John, I forgot to say one thing...
>descenting is NOT done in Australia, and is considered a cruelty
>UNLESS there is a medical reason for doing so... sorry, Darrin."

This is perhaps one of the most annoying things I have heard about Abut,
I really still cannot understand why it is done, so I haven't mentioned
it yet.

BUT, I suspect, perhaps..  it may have something to do with people who
keep skunks as pets..perhaps ?  ( with skunks and ferrets being so
closely related)

But, as we all know..  a good ferret "whoops", ... may make your eyes
water, and your nose sting, and on a bad day, your ears may bleed, your
head swim, and your dog/visitor/neighbor may swoon <grin>..  but
seriously..  it is over within five minutes or so..

whereas skunk "whoops" are supposably much longer lasting ?? anyhow...

As it happens so rarely...and considering it is "our" (humans) problem..
(i.e we can't handle the smell), rather then the ferrets problem..then
why ?  when you consider it often creates medical problems after the
surgery..(and is rather unnecessary surgery in the first place)

I know for a fact, that if some of our guys accidentally go "whoops",
they most often either really meant to (i.e: scared stupid, and need us
too help them ) or, were in a fight and lost, or scared themselves when
spooked by some sound or action, ...but then, in those cases, they most
often find a hidey hole , and feel ashamed, and attempt to "clean"
themselves up, to get rid of the "biochemical aftermath".

but, I am sure I am preaching to the choir here..I just consider
descenting, as along the same lines as declawing and defanging... just
so unnessecary..( and weird)

sorry,
Darrin